Black tape to cover Parts of BCD temporarily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KTDB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
we are planning to go shark diving later in the year, we need to cover light parts on equipment. We have black variants of most things, except my BCD that has some pale blue stripes that need to be covered.

so any ideas for temporary black tape? I thought about duct tape but unsure this might damage the fabric

Why do you need to black everything out?

Waterproof gaff tape. It generally comes off clean. Better than duct tape. But there is no guarantee on any tape not damaging anything.

That's the stuff, I've never used it underwater.

Why the blackout for a shark dive? I've done both a "wild" shark dive in Honduras, a couple captive shark dives at Epcot, and many working dives cleaning a shark tank at the local aquarium. Haven't seen any interest in my light or shiny stuff by the sharks in any of these situations. I have seen the odd baracuda show an interest in shininess - those bastards are untrustworthy.... always looking at me with one beady little eye.

That's the stuff, I've never used it underwater.

Why the blackout for a shark dive? I've done both a "wild" shark dive in Honduras, a couple captive shark dives at Epcot, and many working dives cleaning a shark tank at the local aquarium. Haven't seen any interest in my light or shiny stuff by the sharks in any of these situations. I have seen the odd baracuda show an interest in shininess - those bastards are untrustworthy.... always looking at me with one beady little eye.
I think it’s that thing some operators do, I’m sure it’s just to try and freak you out

This information may change your mind somewhat.

My understanding is the idea is to look BIG. If colors (which sharks see as lighter gray) break up the black, you look like multiple smaller -- bite-sized -- morsels. :wink:

1654322522980.png
Similar to electrical tape; without the sticky residue.

Back
Top Bottom