Black silicone skirts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the Dive Rite Express note on "Why Black Dive Masks Are Better"

I haven't found a difference in the fit due to color. However, there are some manufacturers who still use rubber instead of silicone in the skirts as well as the acrylic DA Aquamaster posted.

I use a black skirt mask to mitigate the glare issue.

I have found the best way to get a seal that nobody can beat. You first buy a tube of good quality clear tub caulk (more $$ the better cause you get what you pay for). Next you run a thin bead (about 1/8") around the skirt of the mask on the face side. Now ensure that you are clean shaven and face is washed well. Carefully align and seat your mask then pull the strap over the back. Now sit back and enjoy the pleasure of a leak free mask.

**Note, ensure you defog the mask befor applying to face and don't dive for at least six hours to ensure you have a good seal. :D

why do all military divers have black skirted masks? wouldnt they want more vision underwater so they could look out for nasty things?

kjp, try an experiment. Go to your front window at night with the inside lights on and look outside, then get right up to the window and cup your hands around your eyes and against the window and see if that helps. Same principle.

Anyone want to buy a used mask with a clear but slightly yellowed mask skirt? :wink:

so they dont want excess light entering from the sides of the masks (skirts) to distract whatever they are looking at?

rockjock3:
I have found the best way to get a seal that nobody can beat. You first buy a tube of good quality clear tub caulk (more $$ the better cause you get what you pay for). Next you run a thin bead (about 1/8") around the skirt of the mask on the face side. Now ensure that you are clean shaven and face is washed well. Carefully align and seat your mask then pull the strap over the back. Now sit back and enjoy the pleasure of a leak free mask.

**Note, ensure you defog the mask befor applying to face and don't dive for at least six hours to ensure you have a good seal. :D

:lol:

Please don't try this at home! For a second I thought you were serious.

Cheers,

Andrew

ShoalDiverSA:
:lol:

Please don't try this at home! For a second I thought you were serious.

Cheers,

Andrew

I was gonna post and say that I tried it and the silicone stuck to my face and peeled off the skin leaving me with permanent mask face!:14:
However maybe this gave me a good idea! How about the stuff dentists use to make impressions or the quick cure denture lining material??? We may be on to something!!

Take a look on TUSA's web site about their M-16 & M-16QB Serene model masks - they're purporting a better mouse trap in the way the silicone skirt is made at the edges, as well as pretty unique buckle adjustment from what I can see of the pics.

Black ages well and discolours less, clear goes yellow with age and looks siphy ...in my experience.
If you have problems with too much light affecting your vision with a clear silicon mask, change/try a black.
IMHO having used a variety of makes/brands and designs in both clear and black I've never particulaly picked up on whether clear or black are softer than the other.

Back
Top Bottom