Black Beard in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OzzyBSK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi...
I will be going on my first live aboard (Black Beard) trip on Aug 7. I want to start putting together a check list of things to bring. I know that I will need my dive lights and cloths pins. Are there any other suggestions? Also, should I bring a dive skin? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hey oz,

I am leaving the week before you, this will be my fourth trip.

Several items you might consider are; a large travel mug with a non-slip bottom (preferably, the type with a wide base), rain gear, and a seat cusion.

I would definately bring the skin.

You also might want to start taking Bonine, or something similar a couple days ahead of time for seasickness, sometimes the crossing can be a bit rough until you get your sea legs.

Most of all, have fun, I am sure you'll have a great time.

Ken

Ozz,

have a great trip. We are on blackbeards the following week. Take the dramamine or similar 1-2 days prior. Otherwise, there is a fair chance we could be sharing our trip with little chunks of you on board. (lol).

I will be going on my first live aboard (Black Beard) trip on Aug 7. I want to start putting together a check list of things to bring. I know that I will need my dive lights and cloths pins. Are there any other suggestions? Also, should I bring a dive skin? Thanks for any help you can provide.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. Does it get real nasty crossing the gulf stream in August? I didn't think about bringing rain gear. I'm glad I asked. I hope you guys have a great trip too.

OzzyBSK:
Hi...
I will be going on my first live aboard (Black Beard) trip on Aug 7. I want to start putting together a check list of things to bring. I know that I will need my dive lights and cloths pins. Are there any other suggestions? Also, should I bring a dive skin? Thanks for any help you can provide.

I did the Blackbeard trip Dec 2003 and had a blast. Items to remember:

Sunscreen
deck shoes (friend needed them, I stayed barefoot the entire time)
appetite :D
Dr Bonners (biodegradable soap for deck showers, personal preference)

Definitly bring your skin :)

Well… I made it. The Black Beard trip lived up to its billing. If you are looking for an affordable live aboard and are willing to give up luxuries such as privacy, a comfortable head (bathroom) and cushioned seats (I should have taken your seat cushion advice Ken) than this is a place to go. The diving was great. We made it all the way down to Cay Sal and had some fantastic diving. The dive of the trip was in a site called Aspen Extreme. This wall dive started at 90 ft with crystal clear water. Vis was over 100ft. Lots of sea life to see and great diving conditions. The shark dive was exciting. About 13 reef sharks showed up to feed on the food we brought. After the feeding frenzy ended, we continued to dive the site even though the sharks were still swimming all around us. Believe it or not, I was not nervous at all. I guess it was because the week before I spent a day with our legal team so I was used to hanging with predators. My advice to anybody doing a shark feeding is to be sure you are over weight. I was kind of light and had to work at keeping myself from floating in to the middle of the feeding frenzy.

Thanks to all of you guys that helped me with advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom