Black and White underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

junior

Reaction score
I typically get my own b/w 400 speed film. I'd like to be able to shoot underwater with my reusable point and shoot camera. It's got a fixed shutter speed of 1/100 sec and a built in flash. What kind of results should I expect using b/w 400 ASA film? The point is to be able to make my own 8 x 10 prints. Does anyone have any comments?

Junior,

What is the brand of your camera? I presume it is an u/w camera... Some pros have been very successful with b&w u/w photography--especially on wrecks. If you can take photos with natural light, they will tend to be grainy. With flash it will depend on how close you are, the power of your flash, and the degree of enlargement.

Usually 1/60 sec is the fastest speed used with flash due to sync issues. You do not mention what f-stop capability you have. For the "usual suspect" u/w strobes, an f-stop of f16 or f22 would be used for a film with an iso of 400. And that risks overexposure unless you can go to 1/2 power or TTL.

Why did you choose iso 400 (TRI-X?)?

Joewr

I don't have any real reason for chosing 400 TRIX except for shooting action shots on the surface. At the beach, I shoot surfers (friends usually) and the 100 speed has too much motion blur. 400 gets the stop action effect.

Since I alread had a lot of rolls of 400 I wanted to take that down with me. We ended up getting 400 Kodak MAX for our trip last weekend and those rolls are being developed now.

At depth, I use a simple $35 point and shoot. It's got a fixed f stop (what I don't know) and a fixed shutter speed of 1/100. I tried a disposable point and shoot, but got bad picture quality. I can't afford the cost of a real u/w camera and as little u/w photography as I do, this was a good way for me to go. The point and shoot is an automatic film advance with a built in flash. I'll post how the pictures come out later tonight.

Back
Top Bottom