BKK to Ko Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you know DD, not every post is a challenge to answer.
I have no idea, but 700 baht to get to the ferry is cheap
or you want to debate over baht.....??????
get real. Think you've got far to much time on your hands
and not about to turn this into a three page exchange about the value
of train to bus, ferrry to plane,
Buddha view to Master Divers Please learn some restraint sweetie.

Hi,

I wasn't trying to cause an arguement or offense. I haven't worked on Tao for several years, so I have no dive shop loyalty or preference. During my time on Tao, I worked for many shops, including Master Divers, Crystal, Big Blue, Seashell and Siam Scuba. I recommended Ayesha, because I know that she is still on Tao and I've seen her provide useful advice to other forum members.

I just try and share my experience for the benefit of whoever asks. It's impartial...sweetie.

It's a fact that the BKK booking offices for Tao dive centers charge more. You and I both know how their commission/sales scheme works. I think most people with common sense would realise that you will pay more by using a middle-man/agency.

I thought it fair to the OP to point that out. However, I also thought it would be fair to you to prompt you to spell out whatever benefits may exist from booking at your center's BKK office. Instead of getting defensive, you could have used that opportunity.....

My apologies if I upset you, there was nothing personal in my reply whatsoever. I did try and give the most impartial advice to the OP, whilst being fair with you and the dive center you represent.

DD
No offense was taken. It is not my dive center at all, I simply know they give good service as no doubt other shops/resorts do as well. I can recommend them as I have experience with them.
To the best of my knowledge, the price is the same, maybe 20 baht difference. Like I said, are you really going to debate 20 Baht....thats $3. The prices are not that much different at all from memory. It was always cheaper to buy a boat ticket at Buddha View than pay at the Maehead office, so figure that.

There is no need to apologise, just think the OP wants information, not a debate or nit picking about minor fart in the wind details. You just seem to be going out of your way to dissect posts lately, more distracting than anything else.

I hope that I didn't lead anyone to assuming that Bhudda View offered bad service?? I was only commenting on the relative cost of purchasing via an agency vs directly.

And I agree here for once DD generally the procedure for most things in Thailand is that the more people that become involved, they are all adding their percentage mark up, which common sense then tells most of us that ultimately the customer will pay if not all, most of it.
Good advice to avoid the touts and taxi drivers 'assistance'. In my experience I have generally found the best and cheapest solution for most things in Thailand is to make my own arrangements. Most times in the past when I have accepted 'help' from touts, tuktuk/taxi drivers I have found it causes me grief and costs unnecesary money.

To the best of my knowledge, the price is the same, maybe 20 baht difference. Like I said, are you really going to debate 20 Baht....thats $3. The prices are not that much different at all from memory. It was always cheaper to buy a boat ticket at Buddha View than pay at the Maehead office, so figure that.

There is no need to apologise, just think the OP wants information, not a debate or nit picking about minor fart in the wind details. You just seem to be going out of your way to dissect posts lately, more distracting than anything else.

I wasn't debating over 20 baht. A diving 'agency' office in BKK will normally push for packages - transport, diving/course and accomodation. Specifically with diving services, they can mark the price up by 25% or more (compared to the price you could negotiate in person at the dive center). For an OW course, or a week of fun diving, with accomodation, that is a LOT of baht.

The OP could still book his transport ticket at a dive center 'agency' office on Koh San Rd, but should investigate carefully before considering to book his diving or accommodation through there.

Thanks for all the great advice! It is much appreciated and I'll make a decision shortly. Also, I appreciate the warning DD as I don't like to use 3rd parties for something that I can easily do on my own. There is no need to bash him for giving good advice.

One more question, if I arrive in the morning let's say at 9:30 which I have read here, does that mean that my first dives will be after lunch?

Also, when I arrive at the pier in tao, is it easy enough to then walk and compare a few dive ops and rooms or is it a bit of a trek?

One more question, if I arrive in the morning let's say at 9:30 which I have read here, does that mean that my first dives will be after lunch?

If you can get sorted with a dive centre, sure. Most centres will have spaces on the boats (I'm sure you are aware of the big thai style converted fishing boats that are used). Most pm trips will leave between 12 and 1pm.

Also, when I arrive at the pier in tao, is it easy enough to then walk and compare a few dive ops and rooms or is it a bit of a trek?

The dive centres are split between 3 main areas:

1) Mae Haad - Where the pier is.
2) Sairee - Where the longest beach and most nightlife is.
3) Chalok - Smaller resort area & beach across the island.

Straight off the ferry, it is easy to wander around Mae Haad a check out the dive shops there. Master Divers and Crystal are the obvious ones to check out.

You can get a taxi to Sairee...or spend 20mins walking along the seaside/hill path. It's nice if you have the time...and it leads you straight onto the main beach strip of Sairee... where you'll find a dive centre every 20m up the beach... I'd recommend Seashell Divers, Big Blue or Davy Jones Locker. Bans is popular and looks nice... but tends to attract the hordes of hung-over backpacker. That's either your 'scene' or not.

Ohh, if I take the night train, where do I store my dive bag?

There are stainless steel 'racks' alongside the carriages. I've never heard of a theft from these, but if you were worried...take a short chain and padlock. I've never bothered with that.

If you arrive on the morning catamaran most of the big dive centres will have their free pick ups waiting at the pier in Mae Haad. If you know which centre you intend to dive with then this is the best option as you simply jump on. If you miss their pick up you only need to call the dive centre and they will send someone to fetch you (F.O.C.).
Personally I would check out the DC's on-line before you travel. Otherwise you're really stuck with what's on offer close to the pier in Mae Haad which is not the best location on the island (in my opinion). Trekking to the other resorts, say Sairee Beach, would be quite an effort with all your dive gear on your back. Most of the larger dive centres run two '2 dive' trips every day. Big Blue has several boats going out to different locations so you can pick your dives. Last time I did Chumpon Pinnacle and White Rock in the morning (7.00am) and South West Pinnacle and Shark Island in the afternoon (1.00pm). Every few days they also run a '3 dive' full day trip out to Sail Rock as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom