Bizarre effects after diving - reasons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our Saturday (before the incident) dive profiles were 112 ft. max at 34 min. total, and 104 ft. max at 36 min. total - both with healthy safety stops, slow ascents, 31% nitrox and I do not skip breathe under any circumstances because the holding the breath thing from OW classes made me fear it :p
Running the numbers you gave on the first dive, V-planner (0 conservatism) says you should have done 16 min, 30 sec. total deco beginning at 40 ft (30 sec.- 40ft, 2 min. at 30 ft, 5 min. at 20ft & 9 min at 10ft). How long was your "Healthy safety stop"? By V-planner you should have had mandatory stops. What did your computer say? Were you at thos depths the entire time? You didn't give a surface interval before the second dive, so really can't figure that second dive, but I would guess it might also put you into deco with residual fro the dive before. With your profiles & only doing "Healthy Safety Stops", I would tend to agree with the others.
@tstormdiver: For a recreational diver, such as gcs118, I interpret "total" dive time to mean "total run time" (including descent time, time at max depth, ascent time) and not "time spent at max depth." Typically, the diver is taking that number from his dive computer log, which reflects total dive time and not time spent at max depth.

Perhaps the OP will clarify this point.

[Edited later: I see that the OP clarified this in a simultaneous post.]

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you. The details makes things a little clearer. BT- good point. Thank you for pointing that out. Even though you may have been conservative, DCS can always be risk. The only way to eliminate those risks entirely, is not to dive

and dont forget that certain cardiac conditions will make you more prone to neuro dcs hits, even within generally recognized safety limits.

It's rather surprising and unsettling to say the least that the diver who posted this thread never even considered the possibility of a DCS hit until he read the advice offered by his fellow ScubaBoard posters.

Even though you may have been conservative, DCS can always be risk. The only way to eliminate those risks entirely, is not to dive

Agreed. But since I ordered my first bp/w today...I don't think I'll give it up just yet :wink:

I'll call DAN tomorrow during operating hours since it isn't an emergency at this point (it's been almost 4 days) and I'll post what they have to say. Thanks for all of the input up until this point, it is all appreciated!

It's rather surprising and unsettling to say the least that the diver who posted this thread never even considered the possibility of a DCS hit until he read the advice offered by his fellow ScubaBoard posters.

It really is. It hit me like a ton of bricks the second someone suggested it. How could I have missed it? I don't know why - I guess I just always imagined DCS as something different and attributed it to dehydration, sun, drowsiness, etc. It's been a real learning experience.

It really is. It hit me like a ton of bricks the second someone suggested it. How could I have missed it? I don't know why - I guess I just always imagined DCS as something different and attributed it to dehydration, sun, drowsiness, etc. It's been a real learning experience.

I have read that there is a certain degree of "denial" when it comes to divers acknowledging the possibility of a DCS hit. As in "That couldn't happen to me!"

Scary stuff

How did it turn out?

VENTID

Visual Disturbances
Ears Ringing
Nausea
Twitching
Irritability
Dizziness

From NAUI Student Open Water Manual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After some unsuccessful phone calls to DAN I sent a message to their medic about my situation. I am expecting either an email or phone call within 1-3 business days regarding my experience. I'll let you guys know what their conclusion is. Thanks again for opening my eyes to the potential seriousness of what happened.

Your neuro symptoms are not adding up to me to be focal, seem more global. However everything is first person. Did one of your friends see any behaviorial symptoms (speech, motion, etc.), were you slurring, having trouble walking, eating, coordination, ????

what did you have to eat/drink on day of dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom