Biodegradable Sunblock recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

driftin' by

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For years I've used Coppertone Sport or Cactus Juice feeling confident that I wasn't harming coral simply because both products are Paba free. But is Paba Free good enough these days? In a recent article in Scuba Diving magazine there seems to be newer concerns over the contents of sunblock. Sorry, I would be more specific but there was a lot of long, names for man-made products mentioned that I don't recall at the moment.

Yesterday, while at a large department store, I was going to stock up on some Coppertone Sport for my upcoming trip but didn't see any indication that it was biodegradable or reef/coral safe. Looking at other brands, I didn't see it indicated either nor did I see any indication of Paba-Free which seemed to be the big issue 8-10 years ago.

Is it safe to assume that all sunblocks these days are biodegradable and safe for our oceans or do I still need to keep looking? Any recommendations? I think the Cactus Juice is a safe bet but it's becoming difficult to find. I'm looking for something that is widely available as my trip is next Monday.

For years I've used Coppertone Sport or Cactus Juice feeling confident that I wasn't harming coral simply because both products are Paba free. But is Paba Free good enough these days? In a recent article in Scuba Diving magazine there seems to be newer concerns over the contents of sunblock. Sorry, I would be more specific but there was a lot of long, names for man-made products mentioned that I don't recall at the moment.

Yesterday, while at a large department store, I was going to stock up on some Coppertone Sport for my upcoming trip but didn't see any indication that it was biodegradable or reef/coral safe. Looking at other brands, I didn't see it indicated either nor did I see any indication of Paba-Free which seemed to be the big issue 8-10 years ago.

Is it safe to assume that all sunblocks these days are biodegradable and safe for our oceans or do I still need to keep looking? Any recommendations? I think the Cactus Juice is a safe bet but it's becoming difficult to find. I'm looking for something that is widely available as my trip is next Monday.

Great topic Josh :D

I actually bought biodegradable, Coppertone Sport at Chedraui this week. It says "Biodegradable" on it, and when comparing the label to the "non-biodegradable" products...it did seem to have alot less.

I have always been under the impression, and have in the past told people to just make sure whatever they were using was Paba free, and it would be safe. I read the same article in SD Magazine, and now I'm not so sure I was providing sound advice.

However, I've personally never had a problem finding the commercial biodegradable products.

but my recollection is that PABA is part of the B-vitamin complex. (even though its name, Para Amino Benzoic Acid, SOUNDS like it must be some horrible chemical). What I THINK the problem with PABA in sunscreens was: it causes a reaction of some kind - possibly allergic, maybe some other kind of condition - in some people. Maybe that it causes a skin irritation after you've been out in the sun.

Anyway, while people were always being advised to look for PABA-free sunscreen, it wasn't because it was a horrible chemical and not biodegradable, bad for the reefs, etc., but simply because it caused a bad reaction on the skin of people.

So I've always been looking for the definitive answer to what specific brands or ingredients to look for if you're looking for reef-friendly, or biodegradable, or whatever, sunscreen. All I could ever see a reference to was being PABA-free. The only the thing I knew (or thought I knew!) was that the concerns about sunscreens and oceans is that sunscreens are primarily petroleum products. So I also thought that Cactus Juice was probably pretty benign, but not sure.

Glad to know that at least something is being labeled as "biodegradable." Guess I'll go see if I can find the Coppertone stuff.

Great topic Josh :D

I actually bought biodegradable, Coppertone Sport at Chedraui this week. It says "Biodegradable" on it, and when comparing the label to the "non-biodegradable" products...it did seem to have alot less.

I have always been under the impression, and have in the past told people to just make sure whatever they were using was Paba free, and it would be safe. I read the same article in SD Magazine, and now I'm not so sure I was providing sound advice.

However, I've personally never had a problem finding the commercial biodegradable products.
Is the biodegradable Coppertone made in Mexico? I've never seen anything biodegradable by them in the US or Canada. A friend's husband works for Coppertone and that's been a sore spot with her for years - they have no environmentally friendly products.

Hawaiian Tropic makes one that is widely available in Canada, but the FDA isn't allowing it in the US. I see the HT biodegradable in Mexico.

I've been using Mexitan sunscreens and their insect repellent, Skeedatle, for several years now. It's made in Florida. I'm allergic to lots of stuff and their products have been great for me. Many biodegradable/environmentally friendly sunscreens and skin care products contain aloe, which I'm allergic to.

A lot of people seem to like Caribbean Sol Biodegradable Sunscreen, Natural Moisturizers, Natural Tanning Oils, Natural Bath Body Spa Skin Care Products, Natural Dog Shampoos and Batab has gotten good reviews .::BATAB, ancient mayan formula::.

Good to hear they have the Bio-D stuff. I had to order mine for the last trip. We do need to use the Bio-D sun and insect products there, altho I am going to carry the DEET for evenings.

:lol:​

Dandy Don, :daisysmil
I have bought repellent from natural food store with Eucaluptus (sp) and lemon oil in it. It works like a charm. I have also used pure ecal. oil. It smells great also. Bugs hate it!
Budababe:blinking:

Back
Top Bottom