Bio Fins Pro vs Pro XT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nivla80

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Decided to break the bank and got a pair of Apollo Bio Pro XT fins from Scuba Toys. (You guys rock!) My question is, after reading so many posts regarding these fins, does the Pro XT help in lowering air consumption when compared to paddle fins? (I'm not comparing it with the original Bio Pro)...

I know for sure that Bio Pros, when compared to other blade fins, are definitely more efficient in terms of effort, but what about the XT's? Do they assist in lowering air consumption too? Or is it just a blade fin split down in the middle? Thanks!

The durometer of Bio Pro XT is 75. The durometer of Bio Fin Pro is 65. So, in other words, Bio Pro XT is stiffer. As for average durometer of paddles, I wouldn’t know. You’d have to look around for that. But off the bat, I’d guess they’re higher.

Lower air consumption is dependent on many variables, from how slowly you breathe, your experience level, how much effort you're exerting and so on.

For me, having paddles meant way more effort. Having my original Apollo pro fins meant way less effort. When you're exerting less effort, then yes, your breathing can be calmer.

You have to try them out for yourself to see how well they work for you. The stiffer the fins are, the more "effort" it'll take you to fin. It's dependent on how much you can tolerate kicking. Meaning in other words, do you cramp up easily? If you do, then stiffer fins mean that until you get really used to them if at all, it'll equal more effort for you. And that translates to breathing harder.

Try between both those two fins you mentioned and see if there is a significant difference in more effort for you to kick. I wouldn't know since I've only tried the original ones. If you like the stiffer one more and feel that yes, it does take more effort, you can stick with it till your body gets used to it. A lot of people here take their stuff to the pool and practice with it till there is no more cramping up and so on. Or you can go with the one that's less stiffer. Either way is fine. It's all up to your comfort level.

Do understand that having Apollo fins doesn't magically lower your air consumption, but if it's less effort for you kick, it's part of the overall picture that you're on the road to towards lower air consumption.

Anyway, congratulations for getting those fins! Hope you’ll enjoy them. I seriously adore my original Apollo fins!

Hope that helps.

BTW, if any of my information is wrong, do feel free to correct me.

Thanks for your insight! I dont really need a fin that propels me fast. I'm not a UW speed demon. LOL.. I'm just looking for a pair of fins that combines the relative ease of finning, with the response time of regular paddles. Though i don't cramp up easily, i hope that the split fins will aid in easing my legs a little, more than regular fins.

Just wondering if the Pro XT satisfy my requirements?

It’ll more than meet your requirements. In fact, on average, split fins tend to increase your propulsion way faster than paddles. And, yes, it’ll be easier on your legs than paddles by a considerable margin. If you feel that these fins are still too stiff for you, than try the original ones. Their durometer is lower.

Obviously the disclaimer is that each person has their different level of comfort and experience. What works for you may not work for another person.

Bottom line, by your criteria of propulsion and of ease, my opinion is that it meets it and more. Only you can say whether it works for you or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom