Binding strobe switch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark_tamer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Most of my diving is done in salt water and the " On/Off " switch on my Sealife SL960D flash is binding ... I quess it is dried salt inside the switch itself.

How can I clean/lube the switch ??

:wink: Thanks !!!!

Attachments

• Switch.JPG
    Switch.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 56
Have you checked with the manufacturer?

If there are salt crystals in the switch mechanism I would try prolonged rinsing and flushing of the switch with warm (not hot) water. Then l would soak the still wet strobe housing for hours, even overnight, followed by further flushing.

There is also some liquid salt remover on the market for getting salt stains out of suede leather boots and shoes. This might also be worth a try. It's not a solvent, it should be safe. A light squirt of silicone spray or WD-40 might help to lube, but don't over do it.

I'm sure there will be someone else coming along to correct me. So wait for a further post.

Not intended as a 'knowledgable' correction, because I really don't know - but I'd be very concerned about the solvents/carrier in WD40 softening plastic. So I'd shy away from that, myself.

My only advice would be the prolonged soak to dissolve the salt as well. I suppose it's also possible a grain of sand worked its way in there as well - either way, salt or sand crystals can with time rip up any type of o-ring seal in there and compromise it, so you definitely want it to be fixed aside from just the 'binding' issue. When soaking be careful not to jar it around a lot, since at 'surface pressure' there's not much other than just mechanical engagement holding o-ring mating surfaces together and the like. Remember as many if not more equipment floods happen in rinse tanks as at depth!

But as gert suggested, FIRST thing you should do is see if the manufacturer offers any support suggestions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom