Bimini Snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost95

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Morning all, hope you are well.

I am looking at possibly taking the wife, who does not dive, to Bimini for snorkeling...if it's worth it.

I know we have several options to get there, commerical flight, sea plane flight, or via the ferry so the island is accessable, so I have a few questions.

In no particular order.
1. Does anyone have recomendations for hotels?
2. Has anyone taken the ferry and is it reliable?
3. How is the snorkeling from shore, are there worthwile areas with coral and such for her to see?
4. Are small boat/skiff rentals avaliable on the island?

Any info or advise you all would be willing to share would be appreciated.

PS: We also enjoy light tackle fishing so any info on that would be great too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

There is not much to see from shore in Bimini. The Sapona wreck and LaChance rocks are two worthwhile Bimini snorkel sites, but you'll need a boat and I don't know of any boat rentals there so you'll have to hire someone with a boat probably.
BTW if you snorkel the beach right in front of Alice Town you'll quickly see what a scam the "road" to Atlantis is; it's just rectangular slabs of rock that broke off from undercut shelves along the shoreline, and there are plenty to see right off the beach, laid end to end right where the shelf formerly was.The deeper slabs that form the Bimini "roads" are the same sort of thing from ice ages when sea level was lower.

Thanks for the reply. I was in coming years ago and did the road. I thought it was pretty cool but not sure about the Atlantis theory.

I have looked into Eluthra and it looks like a better spot and is still easy to get to. We may give that a shot.

Thanks.

In my experience, anytime you have really blue waters like what is found in Bimini, there isn’t much coral there (sandy bottom) which means it’s not good for snorkeling. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom