Bimini Road?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

katekicks

Reaction score
One of my non-diving friends has asked me to dive the "Bimini Road" because she saw a documentary about it being a possible location for Atlantis. She wants me to dive it and take lots of photos so she can live vicariously through me. Can anyone give me any information about diving this?

well first off, you've got to bet to Bimini. Most commonly are via Chaulks seaplane service or via Blackbeards liveaboard or private boat.

Bimini road is a few miles north of North Bimini. It's depths are mabye 10 to 20 feet. It's well within snorkle range. So snorkle boats or dive boats might visit it. It could take hours if not days to see it all.

BImini Undersea and Scuba Bimini might be two local shops that might do trips there.

It's pretty amazing and spectacular since it appears to have been laid out by humans, but of course it must have been some feat to do, even today, with the weight of the boulders there.

Does anyone know if Blackbeards stops here for a snorkle?

LOL. Fair enough. My friend just asked me to dive it if I ever had the chance. Wildcard and I are talking about doing the Florida Keys some time so maybe we could include it in that trip.

While Bimini is the next set of islands over from Florida and only about 50 miles over, besides private boat, there is no easy way of getting there. The only air service is the Chaulks Seaplane service (or private charter). (Maybe there are some small charters flying scheduled runs into south bimini, which has a paved airfield.

Even private boat, etc, you have to cross the gulf stream which can be nice and calm or have 10-12 foot seas. The Bahamas also charges $300 customs fee on private boats entering, so that hinders people going along with the $3/gallon plus gas prices.

It's just not an easy side trip from the keys without advance planning, etc.

Bimini Island Air out of Ft Lauderdale flies to Bimini and they are significantly less expensive than Chalks

I don't think chalks is flying after the accident.

DennisS:
I don't think chalks is flying after the accident.

I read somewhere that Chaulks had one plane flying. The others were grounded after further inspection. Maybe that has all changed though and they are all grounded.

Bimini Island Air that Cudachaser mentioned was the other one that I couldn't remember. I think they fly into south Bimini.

Yeah...There is a great little "rustic" motel on South Bimini" My wife calls it a "Fish Camp"...but they have the best food on the islands

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom