Bilam Drysuit with Broken Neck Seal - Repair or Upgrade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Locus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I started diving a few months ago, and as soon as I was out of my OW I purchased a used Bare NexGen bilaminate dry suit with latex seals. It's practically new and it works well for me, but I have always considered it temporary, something to do my first fifty dives or so on, after which I planned to get a more durable neoprene or trilam suit. I was hoping to get at least a year out of it before upgrading.

A few days ago I was doffing the suit after a dive and I split the neck seal wide open. My options are: 1. Spend $160 to have it replaced at my LDS, 2. Purchase the seal and glue at my LDS for $110 and install them myself, or 3. Replace the seal by one of the above means, sell the suit for as much as I can (probably ask ~$500) and upgrade to a higher durability suit (I'm a fan of the bare trilams as I did my OW in one.) I can have one custom fitted through my LDS for $1,200.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which options are best, or if there are other possibilities I haven't considered?

Why on earth is the seal and glue going to run you $110 at your LDS? Seals are about $35, and glue can be had for under $20 a can.

Replacing a neck seal is not difficult, if you have the right adhesive and the right form to put the suit on (a T-bottle works beautifully!). If it were my suit, I'd replace the seal and keep diving the suit until something about it forces you to upgrade.

I started diving a few months ago, and as soon as I was out of my OW I purchased a used Bare NexGen bilaminate dry suit with latex seals. It's practically new and it works well for me, but I have always considered it temporary, something to do my first fifty dives or so on, after which I planned to get a more durable neoprene or trilam suit. I was hoping to get at least a year out of it before upgrading.

A few days ago I was doffing the suit after a dive and I split the neck seal wide open. My options are: 1. Spend $160 to have it replaced at my LDS, 2. Purchase the seal and glue at my LDS for $110 and install them myself, or 3. Replace the seal by one of the above means, sell the suit for as much as I can (probably ask ~$500) and upgrade to a higher durability suit (I'm a fan of the bare trilams as I did my OW in one.) I can have one custom fitted through my LDS for $1,200.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which options are best, or if there are other possibilities I haven't considered?

It seems a bit like selling your car because you have a flat tire. . .

Unless you're squeezing through wrecks (unlikely with your profile), or crawling over sharp rocks/shells to get into the water, I'm not certain a bilam suit is that much less durable than a trilam suit.

If your suit fits you, fix the seal. I've had good luck with OS Systems PB300 glue and latex seals and the NexGen fabric. You should also have a dive buddy check your technique to see how/why you ripped the seal so soon. If you're looking for an upgrade, consider the SiTech quick-replace silicon neck seal. My Bare NexGen fits me well, and certainly isn't the limiting factor in my diving.

The Bare NexGen is an easy suit to work on. You can get the seal online for about $30 and adhesive can be found at your local hardware store for a few dollars. Do a bit of research on changing seals and change it out yourself n

Also consider getting the SiTech ring installed and never sweat a seal replacement again. More up front, but you can use those same $35 seals, or get comfy silicone seals. Either way, they're now field replaceable.

The Bare NexGen is a pretty durable suit. I found out how tough the material was when I came to sand the surface of it to prepare for the installation of pockets. It was my first suit and I used it for about five years before moving on to a Whites Fusion. I still keep the NexGen as a backup and loaner.

I have the same drysuit, and like others have said, it's pretty easy to replace a neck seal yourself (and the Bare NexGen is probably the easiest you'll ever see) and you don't have to spend the kind of money you mentioned. If my neck seal ripped today, it would cost me less than $20 to repair. I buy my neck (and wrist) seals from the UK at price of $9.75USD from SEASKIN. I buy my drysuit glue from Dive Right In Scuba for $12.00. This can will last me appx 3 neck and wrist changes. I always have all this stuff in stock because I have lots of drysuits (Nexgen is my favorite) and friends ask me to fix theirs, so I understand that it might not be viable to order these things from the UK and Illinois and wait for them. But you can get an idea that this stuff doesn't have to be expensive. In a pinch you should be able to get these items for less than $50.

But there's an upside to fixing your own suit here that you might not be seeing: If you learn to do the simple repairs on your own suit (such as seals, valves and finding and fixing leaks), your attitude towards your drysuit will completely change and the decision to fix or upgrade will become much easier. You may look back at your conundrum in a few months and realize there wasn't a really a decision to be made at all.

Why on earth is the seal and glue going to run you $110 at your LDS? Seals are about $35, and glue can be had for under $20 a can..

I live in Vancouver BC, and we pay more for everything. Seriously, there is an LDS here that charges $75 JUST to hydro a tank. Want an xtar d06 dive light? ($80 shipped on ebay) That'll be $170 please.

---------- Post added September 22nd, 2013 at 07:17 PM ----------

The Bare NexGen is a pretty durable suit. I found out how tough the material was when I came to sand the surface of it to prepare for the installation of pockets. It was my first suit and I used it for about five years before moving on

From this comment and others, I can see that I have dramatically underestimated the longevity of a bilam suit. I am forced to agree with the consensus that repair and continued use seems the only sensible option.

---------- Post added September 22nd, 2013 at 07:24 PM ----------

Also consider getting the SiTech ring installed and never sweat a seal replacement again. More up front, but you can use those same $35 seals, or get comfy silicone seals. Either way, they're now field replaceable.

Is installing the sitech system something I would need to have done at my LDS, or can I do it myself? Keep in mind that, although I'm game for learning to do my own repairs, at this point I have zero experience working on suits.

If I get the sitech ring system, I can still use the cheap seals with it and not just the specialized ones?

---------- Post added September 22nd, 2013 at 07:36 PM ----------

You should also have a dive buddy check your technique to see how/why you ripped the seal so soon.

Do latex seals degrade when not in use? The suit was in great shape when I bought it five months ago, but it had been used and then left sitting for six years or so. I am always mindful to don and doff it very carefully. My buddy teases me that I treat it like it's a baby. How long does a latex seal typically last?

Is having a neoprene seal attached an option? If so, how does it compare?

Last edited:
There's some videos on YouTube showing how to install the neck ring.

SI Tech Silicone Neck Ring System Install - YouTube

I have never done it, but it does't seem too difficult. I'd talk to the guys at DRIS and see what they think. And yes, apparently you can stick a standard latex seal in there, not just the Silicone seals.

Yes.. Latex seals degrade. Especially when stored in a room with "tube-lights" (Can't remember what it is called)
Latex is a natural product, and will get sticky, and almost "rot".
After 6 years I would expect to have to change it very soon.

For best care of the latex seal, make sure you use talcumpowder, and be mindful of sharp nails.
And... If the suit fits, and the zipper is good, then changing wrist/neckseals will be a part of normal maintenance.
Oh.. and oils in the skin, perfumes, and creams can also degrade the seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom