Bike Divers: Mechanical question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all Biker divers,

I have a mechanical question. I have EX500 bike and put it away about 1 1/2 years for the medical reason. Recently, I am trying to ride it again, but as you may guess, the battery was all dead. So, I put the new battery and start the engine. It works great, but it only works with a full choke pull down.. I disassembled/cleaned the caburator and put the new spark plug, but nothing has been changed. It still works only with a full choke. There has been an old gas in the tank and I refilled the new gas with a caburator cleaner and gas treatment, but the engine is immediately dead right after a choke level push back...

Do I need to drain all gasoline? This is my last hope though...

Is there anything I need to repair?

Please let me have your expertise...

Thansk in advance,

Sounds like you will need to clean the carbs again, and yes put fresh gas in the bike
Ray

P.S. check fuel and air filters also, an oil change should also be done

If possible (and safe), try riding the bike until the fuel tank is completely empty. You might want to siphon out as much as you can to save you time; you'll need to do it anyway if you need to do some fuel system spring cleaning.

I had this happen with a bike (Kawasaki KZ1000-P) that I let sit idle over the winter without taking the proper precautions. Fortunately since it was only 3 months, I didn't need to do any dissassembly. However until that tank ran dry (there was only a gallon or so in it at the time) the bike wouldn't run properly. It ran fine once I put in a fresh fill.

Thanks for your inputs....

Oh````gee. Another cleaning of carburator....?????? It is PITA.....:(

OK.... I will empty the tank and fill the new gas first.....

And then, I will clean the carburator again if there is no progress...

Hi Hoosier,

I’m not a mechanic, but this has worked for me. Run the engine on pure carburetor cleaner. You might want to clean them again first as Tnfireman said and if that doesn’t work, inject carb cleaner straight into the carburator and let it run.

Good Luck,

IG-Dive

Drain all the old gas
Rebuild the carb again, pay attention to the pilot jet. When that one clogs it causes what you have.

Back
Top Bottom