BigEye Lens Vs. Wide Angle Lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishNut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Was wondering if some one could tell me what the difference between the
BigEye Lens M46 Vs. FWAL-01 Wide Angle Lens, and if the BigEye Lens will give me a wide angle effect?
Also have any of you used with either of these?

Was wondering if some one could tell me what the difference between the
BigEye Lens M46 Vs. FWAL-01 Wide Angle Lens, and if the BigEye Lens will give me a wide angle effect?
Also have any of you used with either of these?

If you mean the Fantasea appendage vs something like a Inon 100WAL with dome--the answer is a huge and emphatic--NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. N

If you mean the Fantasea appendage vs something like a Inon 100WAL with dome--the answer is a huge and emphatic--NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. N

No their is the Fantasea Bigeye Lens and a Wide Angle lens made both by them. And under the BigEye Lens it says you can get WideAngle shots for an economical price. I was wondering if this is True. Both things are made by the same manufacture.

I mean this one http://www.opticaloceansales.com/point-shoot-lenses-filters/fantasea-bigeye-lens-m46/prod_294.html Vs. This one http://www.opticaloceansales.com/point-shoot-lenses-filters/fwal-01-wide-angle-lens/prod_18.html

The FWAL-01 is about a 98 degree lens, fairly wide angle. And it IS the equivalent of the Inon 105, I've shot both.

The new BigEye lens is more of a replacement for what you loose underwater or about 80 degrees. It helps a lot, but isn't truly wide angle. At only $99 it's a good option for the price. I'm waiting to see more results, but corner sharpness should be better with it than the FWAL-01 as it is a dome.

Jack

Yeah, well, good question actually, what the Hades is this thing?

Fantasea Line Water Sports Photo Products & Accessories- BigEye Lens M46

Specs:

# Features a 46mm thread
# Depth rated to 60m/200 feet
# Field of view recovery (magnification): 100% (X0.75) with a 35mm compact digital lens
# Angle of coverage: 63% with a 35mm compact digital lens
# Lens material: Optical glass, hard coated plastic and anodized aluminum
# Weight: 164g
# Dimensions: 105x39mm
# Box includes: Hard lens cover, secure line, warranty and instruction manual

Which in comparison the Inon 105/WAL100 etc are about .54X and the lens above (if it is a lens) is .75X so per the specs, it is not very "wide angle" but I am not sure we are comparing apples to apples here.

The manual for the 67mm threaded version states:

"The BigEye Lens ‐ M67 makes use of a new patented lens technology, which
allows for high quality underwater wide angle images free of distortions. The
new technology uses air instead of glass as an optical element and enables
recovering 100% of the camera lens optical properties underwater."

Therefore I conclude, with no other info, that this is not really a wide angle lens but a corrective dome which restores the cameras native air FOV for underwater use. If your camera has a 65 degree FOV on the surface at the 28mm equivalent focal length then it will with the addition of this lens retain that 65 degree FOV underwater?? Perhaps Mr. Connick can fully explain what these are.

But, compared to the Inon 165FE or Inon 100WAL with dome which are ultra wide angle, these Fantasea items are not. But I think they are clever and useful items, good going Fantasea, I wish the 67mm version was a little less money.

N

Last edited:
What a pile of horse crap all this measurbating is that goes on about external wide angle shooting.

In the "old" film days 28mm WAS considered wide and many of today's additional Dome Ports (Ikelite WD-4 for Canon G10 and SX200 IS housings) and now the Fantasea option serve many folks well.

I see people obsess over getting a 100, 105 or 165 degree UWL 100 or Fisheye lenses (I've shot them all on various compact housings) and yet they still fill 40 - 60% of their frame with water :(

The difference in real world distance IF you actually use the nice 100% view LCD to frame between say a 28mm corrected external dome and a 100 - 105 lens is like backing up about 1 - 1.5' more. Big whoop :)

Nem, I love ya' man but this obsession without you shooting a 28mm corrected dome (like the WD-4) is total, utter BS.....

I have pool and UNDER ICE shots I did with the Canon G10 and WD-4 (equal UNDERWATER to ONLY it's native 28mm equivalent underwater) to prove it, too.......

99% of shooters shoot so damn far away their strobes have minimal effect and can't tell if they're 2' or 6' away from their subject. They'll will never maximize any wider lens than 28mm or so. Hell, a little tighter angle actually HELPS most folks fill the DAMN FRAME for a pleasing photo!!!

I'm sitting here with a customer's INON UFL 165 Fisheye lens (a great lens) to move for them now that they've migrated to the Canon SX200 IS camera and WD-4 Dome on their Ikelite housings (28mm UW restored dome port.) And they're super happy!!

Of course, it could be someone actually can SHOW them how to improve their technique (Kudos to Jack, too :)

Sorry for the "old man rant" but this bad information doesn't help folks enjoy UW photography much less understand how close they need to be to fill the frame and get good color from their flash, plus tighter composition in their images.

Anyone interested in ACTUAL 28mm equivalent UW angle shots email me directly. All shot with only ONE strobe too!

David Haas
David Haas Underwater Photography
davidhaas@sbcglobal.net

Next time you want to throw a tantrum Dave you can leave me out of it.

James

Last edited:
Nem,

As I said I love ya' man, and even will admit to missing our little debates :)

I'm not sore, just want people to get real world shooting information.

Gear can help, but not MAKE a photographer. Only practice with any equipment despite any limitations will do that.....

I'm out there every year working with folks trying to simplify shooting. I enjoy it when they get a picture they never thought they could take......

Most are simply looking for the "Magic Formula". Tell 'em what settings, how far away to be, how to aim their strobe and let them go shoot.

Preaching a wider lens is certain to get them mostly blue shots as I said 99% shoot too far away. Once a year divers on that precious vacation and likely haven't even been to a pool with their new photo gear.....

As before to each his own on opinions. Mine are backed up by photos using equipment others deem "not good enough".

No harm, no foul.......

Maybe I'll see you at Portage!

Dave

Nem,

As I said I love ya' man, and even will admit to missing our little debates :)

I'm not sore, just want people to get real world shooting information.

Gear can help, but not MAKE a photographer. Only practice with any equipment despite any limitations will do that.....

I'm out there every year working with folks trying to simplify shooting. I enjoy it when they get a picture they never thought they could take......

Most are simply looking for the "Magic Formula". Tell 'em what settings, how far away to be, how to aim their strobe and let them go shoot.

Preaching a wider lens is certain to get them mostly blue shots as I said 99% shoot too far away. Once a year divers on that precious vacation and likely haven't even been to a pool with their new photo gear.....

As before to each his own on opinions. Mine are backed up by photos using equipment others deem "not good enough".

No harm, no foul.......

Maybe I'll see you at Portage!

Dave

Provide your information, your methods, that is good, leave me out of your tantrum :shakehead:.

I will stick with what I said above, the Big Eye lens is a corrective dome that restores the surface FOV to a camera when used underwater, not exactly wide angle but extremely useful and clever and innovative. I want the 67mm version but cannot afford it because I am saving money for another rig.

If I had shot this picture with the Big Eye 67mm all you would see is my head and maybe my shoulders. The Big Eye "bubble lens will produce a FOV of approx 65 degrees underwater which is the result of the "correction" factor of the add on lens. The FWAL-01 wet lens will produce a FOV of approximately 90 degrees or possibly more depending upon the camera.

IMG_1345_edited-2.jpg

Shot with cheap used Canon A570IS with Inon dome lens which actually is wide angle, diagonal FOV >130 degrees.

I don't believe in (generic) "settings" and no, you will not meet up with me at Portage. Oh, and that 1.5 feet you said "big whoop" about, in this photo it makes the difference between a photo and no photo.

N

Last edited:
Therefore I conclude, with no other info, that this is not really a wide angle lens but a corrective dome which restores the cameras native air FOV for underwater use. If your camera has a 65 degree FOV on the surface at the 28mm equivalent focal length then it will with the addition of this lens retain that 65 degree FOV underwater?? Perhaps Mr. McCormick can fully explain what these are.

N

It's CONNICK Nemrod, at least use my name right when you go off on me. :mooner:

I NEVER said the BigEye WAS a WAL. It does exactly what it says it does: corrects the FOV so that you get about what you can shoot above water uw. For $99 it's a big improvement and the corners seem to be pretty sharp. I don't know what other info you could of wanted...

I did correct you that the WAL-01/02 IS a WAL It does have about a 100 FOV. BUT my experience is that both it and the Inon 105AD are that they suffer from chromatic aberration and soft corners because they are not a dome.

The Inon 165 is a GREAT lens.

There, that's all she wrote folks. Gees.

YMMV.

I will stock the 67mm version as well as the M46 and G10 versions, maybe the Fuji one.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom