BigBlue Dive Lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this for reference is one of their 4x 18650 packs
69988736_557503998124403_2227884512363151360_n.jpg

I have an uwld 35, a LM 21hid and 4000 led. I have two 4800 Big Blue

The Big Blue is significantly brighter than all my other lights. It's cheap and it works. One of my two BB is 2 years old and works flawlessly.

I want to know how they have an 8000 Lumen light that runs longer off of smaller batteries than a 6500 Lumen light.

I'll sell you one of my 4800's. Try it for a month. If you don't like it, I'll give you the money back.

Ouch! Did anyone figure out a cause for this very serious issue?

no one is going to dig deep enough to find out, but something failed in the battery circuit and the BMS didn't protect it like it should have *if it even has a BMS system on the pack, it may well not*.

Ouch! Did anyone figure out a cause for this very serious issue?

Batteries just randomly explode. I don’t see how BB is at fault unless they purposely choose cheap batteries. In the case of the almost deadly canister explosion of theirs I gather this was due to a poor design without internal pressure venting so that would be their fault.

Batteries just randomly explode. I don’t see how BB is at fault unless they purposely choose cheap batteries. In the case of the almost deadly canister explosion of theirs I gather this was due to a poor design without internal pressure venting so that would be their fault.

battery management systems exist to prevent them from randomly exploding.... Monitoring current, voltage, temperature, etc. they automatically cut the battery off from the draw to prevent them from getting to this point. How many power drill batteries have you heard of randomly exploding? They have VERY high end circuitry in them to prevent that from happening and they are arguably the most abused lithium batteries, and also arguably the most abundant. Certainly the most abundant ones that are comparable to use in a dive light *being multi-cell, low voltage. compared to a single cell used in a phone, or monster packs in a car*.

Reactions: OTF
I stand corrected.

So, BB has no protection built in, and neither do the batteries they use? Batteries can have that circuitry built in right?

I stand corrected.

So, BB has no protection built in, and neither do the batteries they use? Batteries can have that circuitry built in right?
Yes, single cells can, but the BB packs are what they are...no alternatives to buying from them, or a not-so-straightforward DIY.

I stand corrected.

the cells do not have them built in. They can be put on individual cells which you'll see marketed as "protected". Any multi-cell pack SHOULD have them put on there, and if they don't, they have to have very specific chargers that monitor every cell individually to protect from overcharging when they like to explode.
I have yet to see a single cell charger ship with a light from Asia that is high quality *Big Blue, Orcatorch, Cave Adventurers, HOG, DGX, DRiS, etc*. They should all be promptly thrown in the trash and replaced with something quite a bit better. Many threads on here about those. Many of them also come with cells that don't test anywhere near what is written on the packaging. Those get recycled immediately and replaced with high quality cells.
The problem with some of those companies is that when they make packs out of those same cells, you can't do anything about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom