Big waves in the Andamans Dec this year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adad

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Buoyweather forecast some big wave action right now at both the west and east side in southern Thailand - 6-7 foot waves/small craft advisory to 8-9 footers/hazardous on certain days .

Can anyone confirm this? I'm going HD/HM end of Dec *fingers crossed*

Just read my own post and realise the headline's probably a tad dramatic. My bad.

It seems like the gulf of Thailand is getting hit by the monsoon but what's happening on the Andaman side? It's usually glass-like calm surfaces around this time of the year, right?

Thanks again.

Andaman can be calm, but the NE monsoon winds can be stronger than people think. There's a fair wind blowing round my house right now! For (more or less guaranteed) calm seas, March-April is better. You don't get huge rolling waves, but it can be pretty choppy at this time of year.

Here's a good link for a Phuket wind and waves forecast:

Wind Guru

Predicts winds up to 20 knots this weekend with 2 meter waves :)

Just got off a boat from Similans. Waves are not huge, but making things uncomfortable for the smaller liveaboards. Speeboats are not going out for the next two days and most shops are waiting to see how things shape up in the next days...

Still...two mantas circling for 15 minutes,and during lunch one breahed about 4 meters from our boat!!! we all got sprayed (didn't stop us from devouring our massaman curry).

So bumpy ride...but worth it!

similandiver:
Speeboats are not going out for the next two days !

HURRAY! We need MORE waves and fewer speedboats! Let's hope the waves will stay a little longer and get a little bigger....:D

Hope this situation settles down soon as I am rather prone to seasickness.

The news on TV lately has quite a lot about the weather so I'm hoping this is more than the ordinary year-end monsoon and will calm down in the next few weeks.

But what the heck, I'm going to be sea sick anyways [big waves or small] LOL.

For the Phuket local, if the seas do get calmer, please revisit this thread and let us know!

Thanks !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom