Big tank availability in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blazinator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Of all the resorts in Bonaire (leaning toward Buddy's or GRI), do some offer tanks like 100's to 120's?

Please don't lecture me on air consumption - done all the tricks - I just have big lungs, and like to really get around UW rather than float fifteen feet above everyone else doing nothing but conserving air.

My buddies that I dive with weigh 50 lbs less than me and I want to have the same bottom time when we go to Bonaire.

Thanks in advance!

Im going to be at the GRI from 19 Sep to 26 Sep. What are your travel dates?

Please don't lecture me on air consumption

I await the inevitable...
I await some good answers also, as I hope to rent/have giant tanks there in Bonaire also when I visit someday.

I am good on gas, but I am just get warmed up after 2 hours on a tank.
:popcorn:

Chug

Thanks for all the info so far so quickly, guys. Sorry, Rich, we haven't planned the trip yet, but I sure would like to use your dates in Sept as a goal to reach. I will likely be up to my neck in work around then anyway - good thing - funds dive trips.

I believe Tropical Divers, right outside of Plaza Resort, rents larger steel tanks.

...one thing you will soon learn about Bonaire......LOGISTICS! Diving Bonaire is a LOT of work, in a warm/hot/arid/bright sunny/no shade environment....honestly, having been there twice, I have no desire to return...the diving was pleasant but very bland, low-voltage diving, combining that with the 'workout' of shore diving the payoff just isn't there for me. You'd better love schlepping dive gear/tanks/weights back and forth all over the place...on a good day all that was a pain in the azz, and now you're combining that with the extra workload of chasing after/filling 'custom' tanks.....again, as a Bonaire newbie, you can't really appreciate what I'm saying until you've gone through it the hard way, just as I did. BTW, on my 1st trip, I tried to dive independent AL63's (I brought all the 'kit' to dive that way) but after a couple of dives I gave it up and just dove single AL80's like everyone else.....they were heavy as sin, and I never could get my hands on enough AL63's to keep myself consistently supplied (I needed 4 per 2-tank truckload).....didn't even want to screw with independent AL80's instead...sure, those were available, but even heavier and most Bonaire dive sites have very rugged/bounder-strewn entries/exits, with urchins/fire corals/waves further complicating things....getting in and out of most areas was challenging enough on single AL 80's...shore diving Bonaire's rocky coast in doubles SUCKS! Plus, your dive buds will all be ready to go diving with their single AL 80's at the drop of a hat....you will quickly annoy them as being too 'high maintainance'...you will be the one slowing down the team with your special gear needs. Yeah, I know, you probably still don't believe me....you'll see.......

Last edited:
I suspect Walt at RecTec has them as well. The problem is unless you are using the same shop, getting tanks from 2 different shops is going to be a pain.

...one thing you will soon learn about Bonaire......LOGISTICS! Diving Bonaire is a LOT of work, in a warm/hot/arid/bright sunny/no shade environment....honestly, having been there twice, I have no desire to return...the diving was pleasant but very bland, low-voltage diving, combining that with the 'workout' of shore diving the payoff just isn't there for me. You'd better love schlepping dive gear/tanks/weights back and forth all over the place...on a good day all that was a pain in the azz, and now you're combining that with the extra workload of chasing after/filling 'custom' tanks.....again, as a Bonaire newbie, you can't really appreciate what I'm saying until you've gone through it the hard way, just as I did. BTW, on my 1st trip, I tried to dive independent AL63's (I brought all the 'kit' to dive that way) but after a couple of dives I gave it up and just dove single AL80's like everyone else.....they were heavy as sin, and I never could get my hands on enough AL63's to keep myself consistently supplied (I needed 4 per 2-tank truckload).....didn't even want to screw with independent AL80's instead...sure, those were available, but even heavier and most Bonaire dive sites have very rugged/bounder-strewn entries/exits, with urchins/fire corals/waves further complicating things....getting in and out of most areas was challenging enough on single AL 80's...shore diving Bonaire's rocky coast in doubles SUCKS! Plus, your dive buds will all be ready to go diving with their single AL 80's at the drop of a hat....you will quickly annoy them as being too 'high maintainance'...you will be the one slowing down the team with your special gear needs. Yeah, I know, you probably still don't believe me....you'll see.......

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy yourself. Frankly, we've been there about a dozen times & don't find the shore diving to be quite that daunting. :idk:

Oh well....

Back
Top Bottom