Big Stuff off Baja, Cabo or North of La Paz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I know there's a lot of info on this board already related to this, which I have hungrily consumed.... but! one thing which is not that clear to me is the following:

Where are the most reliable places to go and see whale sharks, hammerheads and mantas and all the big stuff that the Sea of Cortez is famous for ? (Particularly in November)

My understanding was that the so called "legendary" baja dive sites El Bajo, La Reina, Los Islotes etc... are all NORTH of La Paz, further up the coast and it would therefore be sensible to be based in La Paz or even up in Mulege for a dive centric holiday.... HOWEVER I have read quite a few reports that these sites have suffered in recent years and mantas and hammerheads and overall fish life have decreased significantly.

I have also read a number of posts on fantastic dive experience in and around the Cabo area Gorda Banks, Chilena(?) etc... where mantas and hammerheads are seen fairly regularly.

Of course nothing is guaranteed where ever you go, but my basic question is this: Is it advisable leaving the Cabo area in search of good diving? We will be in Cabo anyway for a week or so, and it sounds like it may be just as worthwhile staying there for diving reasons?

Sorry this was such a long post!! probably could have asked the question in a far easier manner!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom