BIG, older wooden shipwrecks around Vancouver Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwilliam

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,

I'm moving back to BC and have done a few dives in Tobermory and around southern Ontario. My favourite wreck so far is the James C. King in Fathom Five Marine Park, and I'm curious if there are any BIG old wooden wrecks that are worth seeing around Vancouver Island? I like schooners but would like to see others from the 1800s and earlier if they're still intact. I hear that the only wrecks that really survive the west coast's waters are more modern steel ships, however.

Thanks!

Jon

The ironic fact is that above water, salt preserves wooden ships, and fresh water encourages rot, evidenced by all the old wooden fishing boats in BC still floating, but once underwater, fresh water preserves wood, but teredo worms in the ocean will reduce a wooden hull to nothing fairly quickly in salt water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom