BIG NEWS! Ikelite housing for the Sony RX100!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can just use electrical tape to mask inside the housing to block light from the onboard strobe.
QUOTE]

How would ike's auto flash work if the inside of the housing is taped up?

Getting ready to make my decision on what housing but I have two YS-90 strobes and a Ion UA-100 type 2 WA. Looking for a housing I can utilize all this previous equipment.

---------- Post Merged at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:57 AM ----------

You can just use electrical tape to mask inside the housing to block light from the onboard strobe.

How would Ike's auto strobe work if you tape up the inside of the housing. I know with the FO cables you would leave spot open for the FO to pick up the light from the strobe.

I looking to purchase a housing shortly but have a inon WA-100 type 2 and 2 YS-90 strobes and want all this equipment to work on the new housing.

---------- Post Merged at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:57 AM ----------

For those with the budget Nauticam does make a great product, while we have not dove the housing we have tested it in the shop. Rock solid, smooth controls, very suitable for cold water divers and very compact.

Do you have the Ike housing yet? I'm interetsed on how the the ike compares to the Nauticam; the rear rotator dail, the trigger to take a pic and the control for the front rotating dail.

Ok so when I refer to "masking" inside the housing you do need to leave a "clear area" right where the camera's onboard flash is so light can be transferred to the velcro sync cord. The idea with the masking is to block "extra" light spilling out from the onboard camera flash causing backscatter. In addition the masking helps "focus" the camera flash on the spot we want it going to trigger the optical sync cord.

To make any optical system work with Ikelite strobes you need the Ike Optical Converter which means you will be shooting in Manual: Strobes :: Sync Cords :: Electronic :: Ikelite Fiber Optic Adapter for DS Substrobes -

As to Nautica vs. Ike they are at very different price points and you get your monies worth at both. Ike keeps costs down by putting buttons right where the are on the camera. As mentioned, to manipulate some of their dials you need two fingers, thus taking one hand off the handles. They are just a little more "finicky" than Nauticam. Nauticam puts more engineering into the housing, spreads buttons out (good for glove wearing divers) and dials can be used with just one finger while both hands can be kept on the camera/handles. Again both are excellent values for the dollar, but in different classes.

We have orders in for both housings, Nauticam housings are on the way. We have yet to get a shipping date on the Ike housings but we are already getting people interested in placing orders.

This camera will only work with optically fired strobes, in fact this favors non Ike strobes. So it should work fine with any strobe, again that can be fired by optical cable. If it has a TTL function even better. You can just use electrical tape to mask inside the housing to block light from the onboard strobe.

So I think Ike is a good option at it's price point. Don't have the housing in hand yet but in general Ike housings require you to take one hand off the handle to make adjustments.

Why wouldn't a strobe like a AF35 work with a flash deflector?

AF35 should work, technically it is "optically fired". Sometimes these strobes are inconsistent in top of the reef bright light situations. Not typically a strobe we stock but better than the onboard flash.

Any update on the ike housings? I'm tempted to bite the bullet on am rx100

Edit: one more question...will the inon UCL 167 work with this?

Last edited:
I dont really see the need gor the added cost of those two housings, tho

Sent from my SC-02C using Tapatalk 2

Recsea nice and compact. Nauticam great housings if you can afford. V solid. Find the Ike's a bit boxy maybe it is just me :)

Are there any other housing options on the horizon than the 3 mentioned here ...?

Recsea and Nauticam would be great but are (way) out of my budget range. The Ike - to me - has all the ergonomic appeal of a shoe box and got less than glowing reviews. I'm guessing Sony won't be coming out with a housing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom