Big Island manta dive w/ Hero3 black setting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jnsey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Heading to Kona the 10th and plan on doing some dives and trying out my new Hero3 Black. What setting would be best for doing the night manta dive?

Do you have lights? I'm going there and am wondering if you need to have a light just for the GoPro?

I just have a small handheld light that I don't use with the gopro but I do know the dive shop provides you with one, plus your around the "camp fire" so I'm sure it will be plenty bright.

I took my GoPro 3 on a night dive without a light. What did turn out was very grainy. I thought I could use the "campfire" effect too. Didn't work well. I left the camera at the house the rest of the night dives until I can figure out a lighting bracket.

we did the night manta ray dive with Big Island Divers back in april 2013. i've never been on any other night dive, but i don't think their manta ray night dive is anything like a normal night dive. there were so many other divers with lights that there was plenty of light for video. because of the artificial light, i didn't need to use any filters. camera setting was 1080p, 30fps, no protune.

Awesome thanks for the Info, I will try to get the video posted after our dive next wed night

i had to double check the settings we used. my wife used my contourHD camera set at 1080p, 30fps, no filter. i used the gopro hero3 set at 2.7k, 30fps, no filter. they both came out a little dark, but that's to be expected since it's a night dive. but there was enough light to see the mantas, and you can even see the snorkelers floating on the surface. i would use the same settings if i were to do it again.

Since it is a night dive and there is no natural light, how does this affect the reds in the video?

1. Do you still lose all of your reds if you are not using a filter when doing a night dive?

1. Do you still lose all of your reds if you are not using a filter when doing a night dive?
No. Your light source (torch) won't be filtered by 30+ feet of ocean as it is in daylight (sun) so your reds should be fine.

The models for Henriette are not making me very happy right now. I sure wish she would make a big turn north or south so I can have some nice calm conditions. It figures that one of the worst tropical seasons for Hawaii is when I'm headed that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom