Big Island Love.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tunaman68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just finishing up four days on the big island and headed over to Maui to finish off.

First off I wanted to give a big thanks to Scuba Board for the info that lead me to a great dive op and a killer day of diving.

Steve at Wanna Dive Kona showed us a great time. We had a FANTASTIC day of diving on his 6 pac boat with good fellow divers and great DM. The owner Steve was the skipper, and the boat had four other loyal customers that have been diving with Steve for a long time. Our first dive maxed out at 90 minutes (I had to cut it short at 83 minutes when I hit 600 psi but my daughter was down the whole 90) on a site that was called Golden Arches - great topo, tons of interesting fish. 2nd dive at Suck em up/Aquarium with 80 mins of bottom and a really great lava cave that was a rushing thrill ride (well not really) with the surges! Octos, eels, and two eagle rays were just some of the highlights. Went back out for the night Manta dive and had 5 on site and although there was some issues with seasickness (my daughter and wife both got hit this trip my wife really bad on the manta trip) - the crew was great and we would highly suggest anyone check Steve and his operation out!!! We had to cancel the scheduled 2nd day's am charter because my wife was still feeling really ill from the night before - Steve was very understanding and has for certain earned himself a fan in me and my family!!

Secondly I want to let fellow Scuba Boarders know about a new guy on the big island that is running a guided shore dive operation up north at Puako. His name is Jackson and his company is called Dive Puako HAWAII We had some killer dives with him including a wonderful night dive. He is a total sweetheart and knows the Puako area like the back of his hand (he lives there so it really is his back yard). The modest fee he charges is so worth having a local guide that knows the entries, the currents, and most importantly all the caves/nooks/tubes/critters and locals in the area!! Check him out, you won't be sorry!

Sounds like a great time!! Thanks for the recommendations for operators, it's great to know who to go with. You've illustrated well how an excellent guide can make all the difference in the world when diving Hawaii.

Are you diving on Maui? If so, who are you going out with?

Back
Top Bottom