Big Island Lava flow diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spon

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last time I was at the big Island (1995), there was a dive shop that did dives down around where the lava was flowing into the ocean. I was injured with stitches and unable to dive, but am planning a return trip in January and don't see any of the shops offering this dive.

Has anyone else head of these dives?

I remember stories of hot water and not being able to get too close, but that it was a very unique dive.

Any information would be appreciated.

I don't think anyone is offering these dives. There are only a few days a year that the dive would actually pan out. The main factors being 1. lava flow and "bench" build up being exactly "just right" for safe diving and likelihood of actually seeing lava underwater...and 2. sea conditions. I know a few people who took their own boat over there and tried the dive a few times...with the last time being a huge success. I think there is some footage on youtube.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to main Ohana forum

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom