Big day tomorrow and even bigger weekend: Rescue Diver Exam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

damage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Everybody

Tomorrow is my rescue diver writing exam; I've been studying a lot, but can you guys give me some extra tips?

Also this weekend will be the practical part of the exam I've read that is hard, but I'm really looking forward to it!

Any suggestions will be appreciated. :D

I believe the test is 25 questions. I missed 3. Not really too hard if I recall. For the scenarios, I found it more difficult mentally than physically, but I'm sure every class is different.

There is no special tricks to the Rescue Diver exam. It all boils down to knowing the material and applying it. This is a non-professional certification so any wrong answers will be discussed. It is actually hard to fail the written portion (assuming you have some idea what you are doing).

The practical portion is hard (or should be). In a real life scenario there is a lot more stress and that can affect the way you behave. The cannot create a real accident and you will always know in the back of your mind that no one is REALLY in danger. For this reason they will use other techniques to stress you physically and mentally. For my training the first day was practice with the opportunity to ask questions and get guidance from the instructor. On the second day we were on our own. As emergency scenarios unfolded the instructor would point to one of us and say, "You're in charge." Various people would then play their part. Some were victim, some were there to help, some were they to interfere and some didn't know what was going on.

The most important thing is your safety first. If you don't make sure you are save first, they will show you your mistake (had a very large Course Director jump on me and attempt to rip my gear off, with surprising speed; fortunately my instructor prepared me for that in the pool).

The second hardest thing is keeping safe, steady breathes. Once you have the victim on the surface and bring them back to shore (a) don't dunk them underwater and (b) make sure you keep the breathes regular. It is more important to take longer to get everyone's gear off and keep steady breathing. At first, I'd get a steady rhythm breathing then start focusing on getting the gear off.

Third, don't assume they are not breathing. Check for breath sounds first. Don't bother checking for a pulse. If no breathing, assume no pulse.

As with all diving... don't panic.

Thank you guys; had my written exam and it was easier than I though, now I'm preparing for the practical part this Saturday

Hey there damage. . Glad your exam went well. . Please
let me nknow about the practical side. . I am planning on
doing my rescue soon. . Good liuck. .

Live to dive and Dive to live. . . . :burnout:

Good course :) hope you enjoy it

My #1 tip would be when you think it's all over don't shower/get changed... it's a favourite "trick" to pull one last rescue scenario on you when you think you're done for the day

I've done the scenarios last weekend along with Damage, and it was a really greate experience! we had a lot of fun, some scenarios were easy, but some others were really hard, and even when I knew that the person I was "rescuing" was actually faking it, the stress level went really high.

Over all, it was a great weekend and I know that I won't forget this experience in a long long time.

And yes I highly recomend all other divers that will go diving more than once or twice a year to take this course, it actually changed the way I see diving and made me more concious about my surroundings and the other divers. I hope to never forget what I learned and to never need to use this skills.

Congratulations Damage on your Rescue Diver certification! I'm honored to have you as my Dive Buddy.

I just recently passed Rescue Diver certification. We talked over things when I was finished and the instructor asked if I had any questions. Yup! When do we get together to drill on what I learned today? He said there is no formal requirement to practice after certification. I suggested we get together with some of the other rescue diver certified divers and have quarterly drill to keep sharp on what we have learned.

We are making plans to do that.

Anyone else have drills with their buddies to go over the whole lesson plans for Rescue Diver?

My instructor did talked us about the need to practice this skills and make some drills eventually, he invited us to participate/help him in his future rescue certifications either as dummies or doing the drills ourselves.

Karel26, Thanks; the exam went great, was really demanding but not really "army style" as I tough It will be, I can only encourage everybody to take this course, really can help you and can make you more confident when helping the others, personally, it changes my way of thinking when I dive. I'm more conscious now, and realize that I have a lot to learn.

Thank you everybody for your help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom