Big Bug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd take some pictures and leave that breeder alone to make more!

After watching a 9 lber shatter a beer bottle with his crusher claw. I would take video of this one and wish him the best. I value my fingers more than a big bug. Besides in NJ he would be illegal to take.

That thing wouldn't taste very good... too big and tough. It'd be damn cool to see but I wouldn't try to take it... it could probably squeeze as baseball bat in half in one of those pinchers.

I'm surprised it's being returned to the ocean. It looks like a big male to me, with the big claws and the narrow tail.
It's a myth that big lobsters are tough. They're only tough when overcooked.
It would be illegal in Mass too, at least in inshore waters.

That thing wouldn't taste very good... too big and tough. It'd be damn cool to see but I wouldn't try to take it... it could probably squeeze as baseball bat in half in one of those pinchers.

It would taste fine. If you know how to cook lobster - the big ones are not tough, just often overcooked.

It's a myth that big lobsters are tough. They're only tough when overcooked.
It would be illegal in Mass too, at least in inshore waters.

Having cooked my fair share of lobsters, I'll respectfully disagree with that statement. It's pretty damn difficult to overcook something that large, though finding a pot big enough to steam it in might be difficult.

Having cooked my fair share of lobsters, I'll respectfully disagree with that statement. It's pretty damn difficult to overcook something that large, though finding a pot big enough to steam it in might be difficult.

I guess I was more referring more to the MYTH that large lobsters offer tough meat. It is simply not true. Ask any chef. The issue is people oversteaming or overboiling them not knowing how to adjust their cooking time appropriately. There are several good articles onlune about this very topic. Obviously a 27 lb lobster offers other issues (pot size) - but I think i could figure something out.

I recall a big lobster that was caught here in CA several years ago. It went up for sale and some pita freak bought it and made a big deal about releasing it back to the ocean. They had a bunch of press on the santa monica pier and they handed the lady the lobster to take pics and she was so scared of touching and holding it she yelled "BE FREE" and tossed it in the water.

The idiot didn't realize it still had rubber bands on the pinchers and it probably suffered a horrible slow death as a result!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom