Beware traveling from jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow- I've traveled quite a bit in the Caribbean and have never heard of such a thing. Were they actually spearing and penetrating the bags?

It was mbj and yes they were penetrating the bags by what looked to be about six inches looking for false bottoms? I was siting in front of the wing in a window seat watching it happen for a good 15 mins

I flew to/from MBJ last year for a trip and brought all my own gear. So thankful I was able to carry everything on!

I have seen this in several Colombian airports though generally it has been done in my presence. As I was leaving Cartagena in December they pulled some bags of coffee from my luggage and picked one at random to cut into with a probe. The Customs officer opened a probe from a sterile pack and used it to cut a small hole into the bag. He pulled out a tiny sample and then smelled and tasted it to ascertain it was not drugs.

I've had my luggage directly probed in Pereira, Bogota, and San Andres Colombia. In each case I was asked to come with the Customs officer out into the "secure" side of the baggage handling area - past where the conveyor belts carried my bags outside. The luggage was examined with a probe which was several inches long. The probe was certainly sharp enough to insert through the mesh of the denier fabric but I doubt it could have penetrated a BCD.

Frenzy,

I have travelled to Jamaica 35 times now, and have never seen or experienced what did. I can only suggest that they had some advanced information rather than randomly "picking".

To Chrpai,

Of those 35 visits, 33 were to BRB! I absolutely love the resort, the staff, the diving, and especially the professionalism exhibited by George and Ebi. I am honored to be considered their friend as well!

That is horrible. Why can't they just open the bags and use their eyes to see if there are any illegal drugs instead of poking it with ice picks. Its all common sense. BTW, was your camera damaged?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom