beware of sharks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

old_diver_camera_laptop2.png

I'm not so sure about that one :eyebrow:

Maybe a Photoshop moment :idk:

I for one would have to have someone from C.S.I. verify it :wink:

Hahaha it's not even a good fake.

And you're basing this on what?

As a photographer I find it sad that so many instances the first thing that comes out of someones mouth when they see a photo of something that is out of the ordinary are "Oh, that's Photoshoped."

Yes, there are fakes out there, but there are so many amazing things that happen in our wonderful world that is incredibly short-sighted and a sad state of mind to be in when you immeditately doubt something like this without giving it a second thought.

Consider this:
Throughout the Bahamas, how many charters go out each day for people to dive with and photograph sharks?

Multiply that by the number of divers on each, then double it to account for the fact that each person probably does a two-tank trip.

Multiply that by 365 days in a year and the numbers are starting to get serious. If you play conservatively and say that there were only five trips a day in the entire Bahamas and ten in the water people per trip, that adds up to 36,500 shark watching dives per year. Again, probably conservative.

That would be 365,000 dives in just the past 10 years.

Now does it seem so unreal that in 365,000 dives with sharks that a shark might grab something nearby that is being stuck in its face and that someone else in the group got a picture of it.

Why else would a shark grab a camera (strobe) as shown in the picture?
Curiosity.
It was flashing.
It probably made some kind of high-pitched whine as the strobes recycled.
It might have been warm.
Perhaps the shark, which can sense weak electrical impulses from prey, sensed it when it got close enough.

Oh and don't forget that tiger sharks are notorious for eating random stuff and have been known as the garbage cans of the sea.

In all honesty this has probably happened more than once before and either nobody got a good pic of it or it just never made the news which seems to be easier andeasier to do now that the digital age has made information sharing so immediate and widespread that even small stories can go around theworld if they are interesting.

Here's another link:
Angry Shark Steals Camera - The Early Show - CBS News

This may be a new picture, but it's not a new thing. I've read the same report and seen similar pictures three or four times now. Seems to me the last couple were tiger sharks as well. They seem to have an affinity for strobes (electrical pulse?) and in all cases, the camera was snatched out of the photogs hands and deposited a distance away, with the shocked photographer sighing in relief that it was only his camera.
One, posted here as I recall, even showed the tooth marks on his port.

Back
Top Bottom