Beware of Scooters in Coz!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
I read the original post and kept trying to figure out what kind of coral or rock or what they had run into while scootering . . . Of course, I'm thinking of UNDERWATER scooters!
That was my first thought

Dave Zimmerly:
While in Coz, one Thursday night at the Scuba Club, I happened to meet a couple at dinner who decided to rent a scooter for the evening. The next morning at breakfast, they both showed signs of being in an accident. He had his leg wrapped, not looking too bad, but she had major cuts and road burns on her shoulder and arm, and her leg was wrapped. The worst part is that her face had major scrapes/cuts/abrasions. You could tell she was in pain and suffering from embarrassment. I felt sorry for her. Imagine coming home from vacation and instead of a beautiful tropic tan all you have to show are gashes and scars.

Be warned! Scooters look like fun but people get hurt.

Regards,
Dave (aka "Squirt")

IMO only bad things come from renting a scooter. In my 10 or 11 trips to Coz I have seen way too many scooter accidents involving both tourists and locals. I recall at least one death and think it was actually two. One couple was there for a day on a cruise ship. Really bad deal. Stay off those scooters folks!.....Taxis are the ticket

to quote dirty harry, "a man has got to know his limitations". not a bad thing to consider when diving either. lots of things that are good for people who know what they are doing that the novice or infrequent divers should avoid.

ive rented scooters on cozumel. ive also rented scooters in thailand, viet nam, and cambodia. all very fun, and pretty safe, for me.

then again, i ride a motorcycle every day in a major metropolitan area where lanesplitting is legal, the roads suck, and traffic is heavy.

the only places i wouldnt ride are.. bangkok and hanoi, partially due to good judgement (see dirty harry quote above), and partially becuase there are lots of alternatives that work just as well or better.

back to cozumel, i love doing to the loop across the island and around the southern point and back to town. i love having the freedom to go out of town where and when i like. yeah its cheaper than a cab. its also easier.

then again, i ride every day. it makes a big difference. there is a little extra challenge to being less familiar with the area, but thats not unusual, as i often ride to places i havent been before. there is also a little extra challenge to riding a bike that is unfamiliar. its not a technical challenge of course, but my reflexes are pretty honed in to the bike i ride on a regular basis. still its not that big of a deal.

riding a scooter is fun and allows a person to get around freely for almost nothing. it is, however, not a trivial undertaking even if that is how it appears. i wouldnt recommend that someone who doesnt ride, or "used to ride, back in the day" bother with it, but for experienced and capable riders, its a different kettle of fish than for a half drunk non-rider.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom