Beware of Dive Chronicles photo contests!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
She never paid to enter the contest.

She might have INTENDED to pay. She might have WANTED to pay. But there appears to be no finalized financial transaction. Without that payment, she has not legally entered the contest. Consequently, there is no contractual obligation for Brad to fulfill if she has not legally entered the contest. Asking for an award without paying the entry fee is simply wanting something for nothing. .

ok... I've got to disagree with the fundamental issue that she didn't pay.

She DID PAY.

it's just that the company (Dive Chronicles) failed to process her credit card payment. (because they didn't take American Express). Is that the purchasers fault? NO!

Just because I call and order something and the vendor doesn't follow through with the bank transaction doesn't mean that it's the purchasers fault.

This could have been handled by a simple phone call to say "Hey, we won't take Amex. you got a VISA?"

Instead... they trashed it. :shakehead:

I have made two conclusions about this premise... that the card was "bogus". For the ability to pay for this contest it surely has proven to be.

How exactly do you come to that conclusion? Maybe I haven't read the thread carefully enough but I don't see those facts. Since you seem to like to look at the definition of words:

"Bogus" adj. not genuine, counterfeit, phony

Maybe I've missed something but I don't see those facts here or elsewhere. If I've missed something then I'm sorry for bringing it up, otherwise I'd say you owe another apology.

You mean like the allegations they made about Brad??? It's OK to jump on Brad without an investigation, but we should be silent about the other party? That just doesn't sound fair. So, what WAS my main allegation? <etc etc etc>....

Ya know, I deleted all my profile info and redirected my old account to a bogus email addy in frustration with what I saw going on here. Didn't plan on coming back. But this "woe is me" victim routine and the continual misdirection you're pulling demanded at least one last attempt at a MODERATE response. If you read my prior entries in this thread, you'll see I haven't accused you of being anything other than "disingenous" - and later evasive, although I didn't use the word, I was just sarcastic about your excuses. IF you would bother reading the other thread, you'll see I even suggested on Wetpixel that you be treated with some moderation rather than painting you with the same brush as Brad, solely based on your first 2 posts - but I did give up on that when you continued along the same path.

Let's re-examine your original post in its entirety, instead of trying to selectively justify it as just saying "she never paid" and nothing more. You know, the one you've since deleted:

NetDoc:
There is more to this than meets the eye. The Credit Card of the winner was declined for their entry. The prize is being re-awarded to the next in line. No tickey, no laundry.

Right there, you implied not only that there was more to the story (accurate, if not in the way you meant it), that she didn't pay (accurate, if a harsh judgment since a payment attempt was made, although an inadequate/inappropriate one), but that THE PRIZE WAS BEING RE-AWARDED. I'll ignore the attempted funny - poor choice of words perhaps, but I wouldn't have known it was a slur either. But in total, you implied the OP's crosspost of the complaint was much ado about one freeloading crank. No questioning how a WINNER could be selected from a NON-PAYING ENTRY. No, you immediately assume the accusation is false and state prizes are being awarded.

Shortly after that post, you were informed that others had similar complaints, not all their cards were either AMEX or declined, and that in fact there was a larger problem if you chose to view it. These initial responses - although disagreeing with you - WERE civil. You instead went into evasion mode, reiterating the 'something for nothing' characterization while backpedaling more with each subsequent post: No time (likely true, although no excuse for the initial characterization, and you seem to have all sorts of time to fight back endlessly now); just repeating what I was told (obvious - and isn't that why initial responses suggested you were showing poor judgment in doing so?); Brad's never been late paying me (although you later denied he's spent 'any money on this site' as potential justification for your sticking up for him), she doesn't even WANT the prize (as if that matters??), etc. etc.

Everything since then - the pile on as you insist on calling it - has been self-inflicted. If you refuse to see that, fine. I'll not belabor it further. I will however freely return and post a huge MEA CULPA with my full real name, address, and phone number for further abuse should it be shown that Brad had already awarded all the other prizes appropriately to everyone but Robyn at the time of her initial posting on WP. I admit I am still posting from my own assumptions - but mine included a search around to find out if there was any corroboration to EITHER side before doing so (on WP first, and later here).

Much of your lengthy defensive response is now that you were never spreading misinformation. Unless the prizes were already re-awarded as you claimed in your very first post, I'd not so humbly suggest you were indeed. And even in your last post you are continuing to cast dispersions on Robyn's character, by backhandedly "wondering" if she'd be paying even now if she hadn't won. Perhaps you're mad at the way others have treated you here...but that kind of disingenuous slurring continues to show a disrespectful attitude of your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure how my comments are rude or insensitive.

I've been up that creek myself. Wanna borrow a paddle? :D

So please... continue the dog pile as you see fit. Tell everyone how I am related to Khaddafy and that I am the worst admin on the planet. Extrapolate that my disagreement really means that I am an arrogant SOB and had a frontal lobotomy.
I'm willing to bet there's at least one worse somewhere. :D
These aspersions often tell us more about the poster than the subject of their wrath!!! Still, I will read through the vitriol to see if anyone has something of substance to say. If I can change something or rectify a wrong, I will do that. However, if there is something that MUST be addressed, please send me a PM. I just might miss it otherwise. You might want to copy El Orans while you're at it! :D

I'm sure El will appreciate all the extra PM's. :rofl3:

While we're on the subject of El, we might want to stop and take a look at his current avatar. CoExisT

Pete made some controversial and perhaps poorly worded statements. Fanning the flames over this stuff, kind of detracts from the original intent of this thread. It's become more about what NetDoc said than about the contest now.

Doc,
I am sorry that you think we are dogpiling on you. I am sure our intention is solely to have you acknowledge the innappropriate terms you used and nothing more.

I took great offense in your implications regarding Robyn. Yes, she used a card that the contest did not accept. However, it was NOT "bogus" (fake, counterfeit). She entered in good faith. She was never contacted to rectify this problem. She was announced the winner (how could that happen?)! She was not trying to "get something for nothing". If she had been told that the card had not been used, I bet she would have fixed it. Regardless, once the announcement is made that you are the winner, they should have given her the opportunity to pay correctly. THEIR mistake should not have cost her the contest.

You seemed intent on painting Robyn as a conning manipulator. THAT is what I took offense with. You still seem to be unable to say "yeah, I should not have said that....sorry Robyn". That is my only problem with your post. I just wish you would "man-up" and be the reliable moderator we have all known and loved. This has given us a view of you we may all wish we had not seen.

Doc,
I am sorry that you think we are dogpiling on you. I am sure our intention is solely to have you acknowledge the innappropriate terms you used and nothing more.

I took great offense in your implications regarding Robyn. Yes, she used a card that the contest did not accept. However, it was NOT "bogus" (fake, counterfeit). She entered in good faith. She was never contacted to rectify this problem. She was announced the winner (how could that happen?)! She was not trying to "get something for nothing". If she had been told that the card had not been used, I bet she would have fixed it. Regardless, once the announcement is made that you are the winner, they should have given her the opportunity to pay correctly. THEIR mistake should not have cost her the contest.

You seemed intent on painting Robyn as a conning manipulator. THAT is what I took offense with. You still seem to be unable to say "yeah, I should not have said that....sorry Robyn". That is my only problem with your post. I just wish you would "man-up" and be the reliable moderator we have all known and loved. This has given us a view of you we may all wish we had not seen.

Very well put. That's the crux of the matter. Pete leaped in. Made several accusatory statements, then casually told us that he hadn't even bothered to read the source docs. And BTW, this creep cannot be a bad guy because he's never stiffed Pete.

We still do not know (1) how the pictures came to be published if her entry was deemed invalid, and (2) were the other entrants awarded their prizes.

I did read the creep's comments on WP. What an amazingly bad business move! Talk about actively seeking negative publicity for his rag. He certainly got that. Deservedly so.

Pete, I am going to be labor the point that many others, such as Alison have stated quite well.

I think one reason perhaps so many have jumped in is because your posts as they relate to this thread seem out of character from the Pete we see on the rest of the board. As I noted one of my previous posts in this thread usually your are quite thorough before speaking. This time you blew it. We all blow it once in a while. And while I am sure many would like to see you admit to that, I doubt we will as you have been backed into a corner.

At this I am going to ask that the mods close this thread - as it has drifted OT. At some point I hope it is reopened with snaphappy showing off great photos from her FREE trip in Bonaire.

BDSC, since you are the OP of this thread, it is more your choice than any other user here to close a thread (or ask that it be closed) next only of course, to SB Staff. What say you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom