Beware of Dive Chronicles photo contests!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say that I am shocked and disappointed by both the tenor and content of Pete's post.

There is only one thing that is going to begin to turn this around. Pete owes a lot of people an apology for his rude and insensitive comments. And Brad Nolan needs to cough up these prizes! I personally think he should print an apology in his rag too. How 'bout it boys?

There is only one thing that is going to begin to turn this around. Pete owes a lot of people an apology for his rude and insensitive comments. And Brad Nolan needs to cough up these prizes! I personally think he should print an apology in his rag too. How 'bout it boys?

I'm not sure a lot of folks would buy/subscribe to "his rag" now that they've read/seen this..... :shakehead:

Oddy, enough this weekend I will be in the Bay area and I WAS going to go to the Bay Area Dive Show but decided to skip it. As you see it is being run by Mr. Nolan.

No tickey, no laundry.

BTW NetDoc - this is considered by many in the Asian community to be a racial slur.

I am not sure how my comments are rude or insensitive.

I clearly stated that it was a differing account of what happened and that I could neither support or deny it.

If posting the "other side" is now some sort of sordid affair, then the world has indeed changed for the worse. Were I to be "insensitive", corrupt or otherwise unscrupulous, I would have simply removed this thread and the aspersions cast on my character.

As for reading a thread on another forum, I will get to that as soon as I finish reading all the threads here, installed the new servers (due any day), and have attended to a myriad of daunting tasks requiring my attention here as well as teaching an ITC here in the Keys.

Also, I have never been appointed the "photo contest" cop for the world. At the risk of sounding even more callous, I suggest that those who feel strongly enough, e-mail info@divechronicles.com and let them know your displeasure!

Finally, yes, we had our very own disconnect with prizes in the past. We contracted to have custom mugs made with their picture on it, we paid for them, and they were NEVER shipped to us. No, we never collected any fees up front to fund this, and it was disappointing on many levels. I thought we had taken care of everyone, but if you were missed, PLEASE contact me and let me know how we can make it right for you!

I will try to reconnect with this thread in the next day or two, but please be patient as I try to make the site a LOT faster while I take care of other duties. Thanks in advance!

FYI, here's a response I posted to the original thread on Wetpixel.

Best regards,
Jim

I just spoke with Brad briefly about the contest and will speak with him in more detail this weekend at the Bay Area dive show. While Backscatter is a main sponsor of the contest, we do not have any control over the running of the contest or the awarding of prizes. However, I will ensure that the winners of the Backscatter prizes will have them awarded after I meet with Brad this weekend. Rest assured there will be no question about this.

Specifically regarding Robyn's situation, I asked Brad what is going on. Brad said that he did not receive a payment from her. On this thread, Robyn confirmed that her card had not been charged. Brad said that as soon he receives the $10 entry fee from Robyn, he will send out the prize. Hopefully this particular issue can be resolved quickly, and Robyn can receive her prize.

I've known Brad for a while, and I don't think he is intentionally trying to cheat anyone out of prizes. The prizes are certificates in envelopes that are sitting in a desk drawer that have no value to anyone besides the prize winner. In the past he has always delivered the prizes Backscatter has supplied for previous contests. Obviously, the organization of this contest and the prize distribution was far from optimal, and he needs to take responsibility for that and enact a resolution for the prize winners. I think it is fair to say that if someone who won a prize did not have their entry fee collected (for whatever reason, be it a no fault of their own, or a clerical error, declined card, etc.) that payment of the entry fee now should release their prize. It's not fair to the people who paid an entry fee and did not place in the contest to have someone receive a prize who did not have their fee collected.

I hope how this particular contest was handled doesn't deter anyone from entering other photo contests that the sponsors of this contest support. I have not had any problems with other contests regarding prize delivery.

Best regards,

Jim

--
Jim Decker
Backscatter
www.backscatter.com
831-645-1082

...I clearly stated that it was a differing account of what happened and that I could neither support or deny it.

Wow. Then you typed something completely different than what showed up in the thread under your name. You might want to check on that when doing all that incredible maintenance that prevents you from seeing the entire world wide web beyond your own site.

As for reading a thread on another forum, I will get to that as soon as I finish reading all the threads here, installed <blah blah blah>

Nice save. Really. I mean, I bought it. Oops, forgot the sarcasm tags.

More on topic, classy response from Jim. Hope that puts the actual subject to a close, and saves Net the need for more flailing around.

Thank you Jim!!!

Hopefully, you won't be similarly be accused for being rude and insensitive for presenting a contrasting view of this controversy. Since you are a sponsor of this event, I think that YOU are in the perfect position to follow up with Brad over this situation. You indeed have a "dog" in this fight! :D

More on topic, classy response from Jim. Hope that puts the actual subject to a close, and saves Net the need for more flailing around.

Without the Internet, these things would die a quick death. It's amazing how companies start to run scared when they realize the power of negative publicity. I must say that Jim provided an outstanding response.

Netdoc's response OTOH is simply pathetic. Apparently the 30 seconds that it took the rest of us to read the original post would have delayed the installation and set up of his new servers. And also delayed the myriad other tasks that none of us seem to have in our RELAXED lifestyles. Perhaps we should reconsider how much time we should waste on SB? I wish that he had been as fastidious about his time requirements before making his accusatory statements. A bogus excuse indeed.

Fine... pile on. Have fun. Jim corroborated what I had heard about the credit card not working/being charged. Now tell me again why that's rude and insensitive? As I stated, there are ALWAYS two sides to every story... but let's make that at least three: your side, their side and the truth (which is somewhere in between).

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom