Beware....missing money on Belize Aggressor!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's the great thing about being the captain. A boat is not a democracy. The captain is king. He can search his crew, which might upset them, but ultimately if they are cleared, they still have a job if they want it.

The clients, will be happy that their money was found. And when it's found, they'll be happy that the captain found it. Sure, they'll be pissed at getting searched, but they'll blame the culprit for that. And you'll have the culprit in hand.

Of course this doesn't work in normal society, but a boat at sea isn't "normal society". I'm guessing only ONE person would strenuously object to the search, and that's where I'd start the search.

I actually wouldn't have had a problem with volunteering my cabin and gear to be searched.

A smart thief wouldn't be caught with the loot, ether on him or in his room. He'd hide it in someone else's room, preferably someone open to random searches. :)

The only person on that boat I don't know is Chris. Randy, Jody, Anna have been on board for years. It would be a real stupid act for the crew to steal. Their pay really depends on tips and stealing isn't conducive to good tips. Word going around that the crew steals would shut down their livelihood. While you are accusing your fellow boat mates of being thieves, because that is what a baggage search is, the real thief is standing next to you searching your bag with the money in his pocket. The captain really has his hands tied in a situation like this and from seeing how the company handled other boat related issues in the fleet I doubt you will get financial satisfaction in this case. Does travel insurance cover this?
We had Jay, Jody, Chris, Yanis, and Vanessa. It was thought that a police report was necessary for travel insurance to cover the loss...don't know if that is true, but the police were not contacted! The search was kind of a joke I think.....maybe the captain thought it would appease those that had things stolen. It was a very awkward situation! I agree that it could be a real killer for tips for the crew!

We had Jay, Jody, Chris, Yanis, and Vanessa. It was thought that a police report was necessary for travel insurance to cover the loss...don't know if that is true, but the police were not contacted! The search was kind of a joke I think.....maybe the captain thought it would appease those that had things stolen. It was a very awkward situation! I agree that it could be a real killer for tips for the crew!

Oh...forgot a crew member, Mike!

My dive computer showed up really quick when our group leader told the captain that we would all be withholding tips until the dive computer was found.

My dive computer showed up really quick when our group leader told the captain that we would all be withholding tips until the dive computer was found.
Wish we had thought of that!

A good week of diving and fellowship ended on a sour note when approximately $600 cash came up missing from 3 different guest cabins. One cabin had $300 missing, another had $200 and another $100. The boat had a ladies group of 15 divers and two couples aboard for the week...plus a crew of 6. The captain stated this had never before on his boat and backed his crew. The night before we departed another guest reported a missing jade bracelet.....so it was suggested we search each others bags. Nothing was found! The guests missing cash were given the option of contacting the police in Belize.....but the captain stated this might cause guest leaving the next morning to be delayed and possibly miss flights! It was decided not to call the police. I did not have anything missing, but found the whole situation to be very awkward and easily prevented. A small safe in each room would provide security for each guest...and be beneficial to the staff in what was a very awkward situation. I felt personally that the captain was very quick to back the crew and place the blame on one of the guest! This left a very sour taste in my mouth regarding the Aggressor.
i also found it very interesting that I had questioned another officer about putting my billfold and passport in the ship safe when I boarded and was met with the statement that things were safe on the ship. The company does state in the Know Before You Go document that a safe on the boat is available!
So, a few words of wisdom before you go on the Belize Aggressor or any other liveaboard.....make sure your valuables are in safe keeping and locked up!
I also pray that the person that took the cash needed it very bad and had no other option but to steal. Not only did you steal money, you cast a veil of sadness on our great week.:depressed:

In all fairness I must post that the woman missing the bracelet on the boat did find it when she got home and unpacked, somehow it had lodged in some of her clothes. The Aggressor company was notified. Unfortunately the missing cash did not turn up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom