Better diving after pandemic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Other than people who work in restaurants, gyms, or hair salons/barber shops, I don't really know anyone out of work. Gyms and hair salons/barbers are a very small fraction of people.

Other than people who work in restaurants, gyms, or hair salons/barber shops, I don't really know anyone out of work. Gyms and hair salons/barbers are a very small fraction of people.

99.9% of construction workers. Only those trades supporting infrastructure have a small fraction of their workforce in place. It's not good.

Some 26 million unemployment claims have been filed since the virus started shutting down businesses in the U.S. I don't know how many of those folks were working in restaurants, gyms, or hair salons/barber shops, but that's not what I'd call a "very small fraction of people."

That's conceivably 26 million people who won't be able to pay rent or a mortgage in a few months. What about food and necessities? And that's just here in the states.
We haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg yet. Illness wise, maybe. But that's it.

That's conceivably 26 million people who won't be able to pay rent or a mortgage in a few months. What about food and necessities? And that's just here in the states.
We haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg yet. Illness wise, maybe. But that's it.
Who do they find to pay the rent or mortgage if they kick out the people living there when everyone’s broke?

Who do they find to pay the rent or mortgage if they kick out the people living there when everyone’s broke?

Exactly the question I asked my landlord when I asked for a reduction in rent. The answer was, "no one from the government has told them to do otherwise." The common man is going to be screwed by this.

Exactly the question I asked my landlord when I asked for a reduction in rent. The answer was, "no one from the government has told them to do otherwise." The common man is going to be screwed by this.
If the government wants a huge homeless problem this is certainly the way to do it. We have an idea what happens when rent, mortgages and bills don’t get paid, people will squat. But what happens when all the money runs out and people can no longer afford food? Have they given any thought to that?
The problem is that modern day politicians are all so wealthy that they are completely out of touch with the common man. They have to be wealthy by default just to be able to be elected. But most of them have not lived it and have no idea of what real desperation looks and feels like. They are insulated from the real world and go to their mansions every day and get their top notch medical and lifetime retirement. None of them have a worry in the world.
So what do we do when all the money runs out and there’s no money for food? Will they start bread lines again like in 1929?
Or would that be too demeaning to them to have to stoop to something that low during their watch?
They say I won't get my $1200 check in the mail now until maybe September.

The landlord still has fixed expenses such as taxes, insurance, utilities, maintenance and repairs.
To me, asking for rent reduction/accommodation is fair. Expecting total rent forgiveness is an unreasonable expectation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom