Best Yellow Split Fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradshsi:
True, it is something of an extrapolation (as Dr Greer admits in his report). The line drawn on the graph is strongly biased by the result for the Apollo XT fins (the point with a stiffness of 5 and a speed of about 2.45).

That said I think he's made the best curve fit possible with the limited amount of data. If and when he manages to test some more fins we will know with better certainty. A lot of engineering is like that. You have to make the best interpretation you can from incomplete data or data that has multiple influences. Ceteris Paribus is usually not an option :)

The Apollo bio-fins are all manufactured using 100% natural rubber. The original bio-fin pro model has a durometer of 65 and consistently proves to be the fin with the least effort and the best tests in speed runs. The colored bio-fins, blue and yellow have a durometer of 67-69, about 6% stiffer than the pro. Many divers prefer them for their "feel" and push off [low end torque]. The bio-fin XT model has a durometer of 75. The XT model is 15% stiffer than the original pro model. Divers who are used to a wide scissor style kick, and those who want the "feel" of the older style paddle fins, often prefer the XT model. I have been diving since 1972. I like the XT'S. I am used to the wider and slower kick style. Both my sons use the original pro models. They smoke me everytime. It is all a matter of personal preference. Dive them all. Buy the fins that suit your style of diving.

Hate to say it MDB, but your posting sounds like a marketing brochure. Add to it the fact that you represent Apollo Sports, and the credibility of your post is completely shot (at least to these critically-thinking ears/eyes). You may actually be competely accurate in your statements, but subtlety goes a long way when you promote your products. (just a suggestion). All that said, Apollo Biofins are a great product, but as I mentioned in my earlier posting, people should just try them out at their LDS instead of asking for subjective opinions on an internet bulletin board. (We all know the saying about opinions being like ***#0les....) :)

bnajdrovsky:
Hate to say it MDB, but your posting sounds like a marketing brochure. Add to it the fact that you represent Apollo Sports, and the credibility of your post is completely shot (at least to these critically-thinking ears/eyes). You may actually be competely accurate in your statements, but subtlety goes a long way when you promote your products. (just a suggestion). All that said, Apollo Biofins are a great product, but as I mentioned in my earlier posting, people should just try them out at their LDS instead of asking for subjective opinions on an internet bulletin board. (We all know the saying about opinions being like ***#0les....) :)

Bnajdrovsky: As Jack Webb used to say on Dragnet: "Just the facts Mam."

bnajdrovsky:
Hate to say it MDB, but your posting sounds like a marketing brochure. Add to it the fact that you represent Apollo Sports, and the credibility of your post is completely shot (at least to these critically-thinking ears/eyes). You may actually be competely accurate in your statements, but subtlety goes a long way when you promote your products. (just a suggestion).

He was mostly stating the precise difference between the products, and why people prefer different ones. Sure it may have a marketing aspect, but wasn't it not useful information??? He didn't compare it to other brands, or knock other brands, just stating (in response to another post) the difference between their products.

It was a good post (and no, I don't use Apollo).

- ChillyWaters

I'm with ChillyWaters. MDB said nothing untoward in his post, simply supplied some helpful, relevant information to the post. gg, mdb.

bradshsi:
Dr Greer found a correlation that stiffness does play a factor in fin performance. However to say that floppier is better or that stiffer is better, is an oversimplification (at least for split fins). This is because for split fins there appears to be an optimum stiffness. The following are excepts from his report, the full version of which can be found at http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/instruct/grier/fins-in-depth-2002.html

Interestingly, most paddle fins appear to be too stiff based on the testing (see above graph).

Disclaimer: I happen to own a pair of pretty yellow Apollo Biofins but no lemmings were harmed in the writing of this forum post :wink:

Thanks for posting that... I read Dr. Greer's entire synopsis...

It seems to confirm what most everyone knows, already: use what works for ya...

(although I agree with his contention equating more strain/cramping with paddles)

Back
Top Bottom