best wrist style computer for recreational diver... advice wanted please :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

npolanszky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hello everybody, this is my first post (so go easy haha) and hope I'm in the right category.

i have only been in the sport for about a year now, and have spent months reading up about what gear would be best to get to take with me to do my dm in asia. i will only be diving warm waters and only recreational stuff. i don't intend to go any further with it, no tech etc. only single tank set up.

i currently have an aeris epic and can't really complain. I'm just wanting to go to a computer that i can

bungy mount
air integrated
user changeable batteries
preferably connect to my mac
does everything that is needed for general recreational diving (up to recreational instructor would be as far as i would go)
either wristwatch in size or puck size
and would rather not go a suunto due to algorithm (i have had and used one)
cost isn't too much of a factor, rather buy once and be done with it

thank you so much for all your advice

The Galileo is a tried and true AI unit. Does not come with bungee mount but not hard to use bungee with it.

Also have a look at the Aeris new OLED, there is a thread on the Aeris forum.

If you want the best wrist computer, get the Shearwater Petrel.

It has everything on your list, but it does not have AI.

The computers that have AI are inferior to the Petrel in many, or all, other aspects.

hello everybody, this is my first post (so go easy haha) and hope I'm in the right category.

i have only been in the sport for about a year now, and have spent months reading up about what gear would be best to get to take with me to do my dm in asia. i will only be diving warm waters and only recreational stuff. i don't intend to go any further with it, no tech etc. only single tank set up.

i currently have an aeris epic and can't really complain. I'm just wanting to go to a computer that i can

bungy mount
air integrated
does everything that is needed for general recreational diving (up to recreational instructor would be as far as i would go)

thank you so much for all your advice

The closest you will get to what you want, is the Hollis TX1. However a alternative is the Oceanic VT 4.1 with an optional bungee mount sold by Deep Sea Supply. Either of those computers will set you back $700-800. However, if you can go without air integration the Petrel is a far more reliable computer and way more superior to either of those two (I own a VT 4 & a petrel).

Daru

The closest you will get to what you want, is the Hollis TX1. However a alternative is the Oceanic VT 4.1 with an optional bungee mount sold by Deep Sea Supply. Either of those computers will set you back $700-800. However, if you can go without air integration the Petrel is a far more reliable computer and way more superior to either of those two (I own a VT 4 & a petrel).

Daru

What is your basis for saying the Petrel is more reliable than the Hollis TX1?

For the OP, the TX1 is still on sale for $750, which includes the AI transmitter, bungee mount, and wrist strap (and a case).

Because of this, I will recommend Petrel as well. I will recommend skip the wireless AI as well

From someone who started with wireless AI, I dont miss it anymore, not for a second. For $750 that much money, it will be crazy to spend it on a computer without a better screen. What does a TX1 do where a DG03 at $250 doesn't?

bungy mount
air integrated

The computer you have seems to do most of those things, and you are not unhappy with it.

You will want it to do Nitrox, possibly covered under "general recreational diving".

I would also consider having a second computer. If you are diving as the DM or Dive Guide you will be expected to do repetitive dives, if you have a computer fault then that's it for the day! Some computers will lose the residual nitrogen on a battery change. If I have to do a repetitive dive I will normally dive with two computers.

Having a local agent may be of value. But make sure youn have batteries, spare battery cover (they can be damaged or lost), o-rings and grease.

What does a TX1 do where a DG03 at $250 doesn't?

Trimix and 6 gases vs 3 nitrox gases :wink:

But the op does not look like he's interested in Trimix and that's why I recommended the DG03!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom