Best Wreck Reel Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRRKAR

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was looking to get started in wreck diving in the near future and was wondering what the recommendations are for the best wreck reel and also the size of line recommended. I'm looking to do some simple wrecks in NC.

Thanks.

Jeff

look at the aqua explorers 5 inch primary reel. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it. I've had one for 10 years, and aside from the anodized color wearing off in spots, it works as good as new.
Dan Berg started Aqua explorers in NY so I guess thats why alot of divers, around here have them, but price and quality is why I see them clipped to guys on the dive boats while other brands sit in their bags.
simple but strong design, it works

Check out the Abyss dive reels, for wreck diving I would go with the 36# line. I think they are the best out there. Go to www.abyss.biz

New for the end of January they are coming out with a new design on the spool face that is "real" cool.

I have a reef scuba reel that I really like. Very modular so you can swap spools fairly easily and what's very nice is you can take the spool out underwater to clear a jam... yes I know this from personal experience.

www.reefscuba.com

Pez de Diablo:
Check out the Abyss dive reels, for wreck diving I would go with the 36# line. I think they are the best out there. Go to www.abyss.biz

New for the end of January they are coming out with a new design on the spool face that is "real" cool.
Direct Link to Reel

Ditto the Reef Scuba primary and saftey reels. They are simple, reliable and very durable. And the spool is easy to remove if you jam the reel even in cold water with dry suit mitts.

I think #36 is a little light for line and in a wreck where sharp edges abound #48 is much better.

Even a small 3" saftey reel with #48 still gives you 100 ft of line and that is a fair amount of penetration in most wrecks.

A 4" primary reel will hold 250' of #48 line and is IMHO a reasonable choice for a reel to use to run a line back to a point near the anchor line. #36 line on a 4" reel will only give you another 50' so I'd personally rather have the increased abrasion resistance of #48.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom