Best Weight Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Morg_NZ:
What is the best weigt harness to get for "tech" diving???:eyebrow:
I really like the OMS IQ pack. It has a great ditchable weight system, I think it will hold 32lbs total, and if you add the Stainless backplate you get an extra 6lbs there to take off your belt. Also OMS makes a few different wing sizes. It is a nice rig to check out. Also the Dive Rite Transpac is a great rig. I would say you can't go wrong with either one.

If by best weight system for a 'TECH" outfit ---- are you meaning the best weight system to use with a bp/w set up?-- I have a bp/w setup and i have looked for a good long time for the best weight system to use.. I looked at the Dui-- but didnt really like how it sat under my straps ect(jmho)... What i ended up using was the "acb" weight system from halcyon. What it does it turn your bp/w into a intergrated weight system-- and since i only use 10lbs of lead-- 5lbs on each side wasnt that big of a deal. Here is a link--- they really sit back nicly and you dont even really feel them on.. Goodluck

http://www.halcyon.net/mc/acb.shtml

ps. I also have a IQpack and as a total harness system i do love it( i have the new one that doent use the oms pockets or a cumber bun)(just the waiste strap)-- i know alot of people will say oms customer service sucks ect-- but so far i like it alot and even like it a bit more then my bp/w set up.. the acb weight system worked on the iqpack also...

MechDiver:
Much unspoken question? On Scubaboard??

Horsepucky.
I think I'll side with Mech on this one. Tech divers I have dove with don't wear a weight harness. Weighting for doubles(mind you, this is what technical diving is about on OC) is done with the backplate, v-weights, weight belt, etc. Even with double 80's AL. Now, in rebreathers, most of the ones I have seen have done their weighting integral to the RB, heavier BP's or putting soft weights inside the open spaces on the RB. We are not looking for ditchable weight as the usual Tech diver, practices proper weighting techniques, not like the cyber divers. :crafty:

jjsteffen:
I think I'll side with Mech on this one. Tech divers I have dove (sic) with don't wear a weight harness.

Now, in rebreathers, most of the ones I have seen have done their weighting integral to the RB, heavier BP's or putting soft weights inside the open spaces on the RB.

We are not looking for ditchable weight as the usual Tech diver, practices proper weighting techniques, not like the cyber divers. :crafty:

Tech divers, commercial divers, and police divers that I have been diving with, by contrast, have worn weight harnesses.

As for rebreathers, I own one. I have a lot of friends who own them. I teach people how to dive on them. Yes, there are many philosophies on weighting with them, one of which is the use of a weight harness.

There are times when having some ditchable weight can be a life-saver. I would guess, however, that anyone who does not use your "proper" procedure is a "cyber diver". :eyebrow:

BigJetDriver69:
There are times when having some ditchable weight can be a life-saver. I would guess, however, that anyone who does not use your "proper" procedure is a "cyber diver". :eyebrow:

losing ditchable weight could also be a death sentence for a tech diver

BigJetDriver69:
Tech divers, commercial divers, and police divers that I have been diving with, by contrast, have worn weight harnesses.

As for rebreathers, I own one. I have a lot of friends who own them. I teach people how to dive on them. Yes, there are many philosophies on weighting with them, one of which is the use of a weight harness.

And the ditchable weight is usually in the form of a stage bottle, used deco bottle, canister light, scooter, etc. Not a weight pouch from a weight harness. If you want to wear whatever, cement shoes, clorox bottles, etc., that's fine. The scuba police are not going to get you. But to counsel a diver that having a weight pouch, that often gets dumped on its own, while still having a deco obligation, and rocketing to the surface, seems ill advised. Oh yeah, I am a Tech and police diver and no one dives with a weight harness on our teams. And yes, IMHO a tech diver wearing a weight harness probably learned it on the internet, not from his mix teacher. Commercial divers are different beasts and normally go underwater with different goals and protocls than in this forum.

Or, a weight belt with suspenders is another alternative to a bulky harness/pouch setup.
I like the 2lb bullet weights; my buddy uses 1 lb bullet weights. Very compact & not prone to fouling, and with the suspenders, not ditchable unless ya really really want it to be.

jjsteffen:
And the ditchable weight is usually in the form of a stage bottle, used deco bottle, canister light, scooter, etc. Not a weight pouch from a weight harness. If you want to wear whatever, cement shoes, clorox bottles, etc., that's fine. The scuba police are not going to get you. But to counsel a diver that having a weight pouch, that often gets dumped on its own, while still having a deco obligation, and rocketing to the surface, seems ill advised. Oh yeah, I am a Tech and police diver and no one dives with a weight harness on our teams. And yes, IMHO a tech diver wearing a weight harness probably learned it on the internet, not from his mix teacher. Commercial divers are different beasts and normally go underwater with different goals and protocls than in this forum.

JJSTEFFEN,

I am really amused by your comments about cement shoes, Chlorox bottles, etc. I am also amused by the fact that you can't seem to read, or refuse to, at least when it comes to what I posted. What I said was that it is easy to ditch one-half of the weight. The other half is securely retained.

I am also amused by the fact that generally, people who put "IMHO" in their posts seem to have an over-sized ego.

I got the idea of wearing a weight harness from (Quelle surprise!) actually wearing one underwater (in my particular case, it was a Miller), not from the "Internet".

So your team does not use them. That's fine. You have the right to use equipment that you prefer. Other people and other teams do use them. I personally use one for the reasons stated, and the fact that wearing a lot of weight on my hips that is otherwise un-supported makes my back hurt.

As you say, "Oh Yeah", I am a tech diver and a police officer. I am tri-mix certified. I dive the Inspiration, and am an instructor on the unit. I am a police diver with over 6 1/2 years of blackwater work to my credit. (Shall we now compare notches on our weightbelts as to bodies, vehicles, and weapons recovered?) I am also a Public Safety Diving Instructor Trainer and a Diver Medic Technician, but what the heck does that have to do with this discussion?

After all, the poor guy asked for a recommendation for a weight harness, not for a discussion about who likes what system. I gave him one and Bob (who is a commercial diver), gave him another. That's all. Lighten up, brother.

I personally am proud of you for having the fortitude to be on a police team, whether paid or not. It is not an easy job. Most of the time it is certainly not a fun job! As they say though, somebody's got to do it. You deserve praise for what you do, and too often, there is not even that.

Dive safe, stay safe, and keep the faith!

BJD

Tavi:
losing ditchable weight could also be a death sentence for a tech diver

P.P.S.---Tavi,

Please re-read my earlier post. I said that one-half (1/2) could be ditched.

Deco ceilings are serious limits and must be respected. No one here is talking about dumping all of one's weight and departing for the surface like a balloon.

Cheers!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom