Best Way?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend researching on your own and getting together some prices first, then consult a travel agent if you'd like. We book a lot of trips thru expedia, orbitz, travelocity, etc and haven't had any problems. When we went to Bonaire in October, I booked the hotel/dive package directly with Buddy Dive and booked the airfare on continental.com

I agree with doing your own research. I would start with Infobonaire and Bonairetalk. Then look at airline sites (AA to CUR, Delta to BON, CO to BON) and travel sites (orbitz, kayak, etc.).

How you go from there depends on your interests. I think Maduro, Caradonna and Ann all have very good reputations. Ann would have the most local knowledege. And I used Caradonna one time and they did a nice job.

Personally, I prefer to do most of the work myself. I sort of enjoy finding the flight that best blends my preferences (schedule, price, airline, routing, FF miles). I enjoy finding the lodging that best meets my needs/interests (some of which don't work with travel agents). I am OK working on finding the best rental car option that is reliable and cheap (given my choices around the number of drivers and insurance).

So, this trip I was able to get great flight schedules from Seattle (one stop in Atlanta, arriving mid-afternoon). First class using 60K FF miles (and my brother was able to snag an affordable coach ticket). I get to stay at my favorite place (small, on the water, pool, very affordable and walking distance to town) that doesn't typically work through travel agents. And I get a rental car without having to stand in line that takes AMEX. I booked everything directly and am very happy with the result.

Price is not the only value that you can get from a professional in travel. When you talk to an agent that specializes in diving and have travelled to the destination that you are thinking on visiting he or she can help you decide where to stay, what to do, what you should avoid, what are the must do in the area, all this really help you in getting the most of your time and money while in a new place. So you won't only get the best out of your vacation but at the end you will also save money and time, and in the worst case scenario you will be paying the same for your vacation that you will pay on any of the big website but with no professional advice at all, not many dive instructors/agents and with thousands of dives aboard work for one of those, right?

I agree that many TAs do a great job and provide a real service. That said, IMHO, they are hardly what you make them out to be.

First, TAs are one source of information but there are so many more. Trip Advisor is a good general source. There are sport specific boards with lots of info (such as this one). There are area specific boards (like Bonairetalk). There are comparative sites (such as infobonaire). You can get the impression of dozens of travellers rather than one TA that went once (perhaps several years ago) and was probably given a better than average experience (and stayed at only one or two properties).

Second, many TAs tend to use a smaller subset of the available lodging. Some lodging won't pay a fee to the TA (some TAs tend to use these less often), some decline to work with TAs and some TAs decline to work with certain providers. Small and/or unique properties are often left out

The favorite places I have stayed have always been ones I discovered through research. The same with hotels that have always been the best value. That said, if you want to delegate your decision making (and reserving efforts) to somebody else, TAs can be a good way to go.

As an example, the poster has a tour business and lists one property on Bonaire -- Buddy Dive. Not a bad choice but there are many other choices. Buddy might be the very best choice for your group. But if you want cheaper or walking distance to town or more upscale, or a smaller place you can find that.

All of my major travel problems have been caused by travel agent screw ups...

I have never had a significant problem when diy - because I know that everything was handled by me...

Back
Top Bottom