Best way to secure video housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

globaldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Los Angeles/California, (originally from Stockholm
What is the best way to secure the video housing in respect to both having good mobility and decrease the entanglement risk.
Some use spiral lanyards, which I do not really like, but I wonder what method you have come up with that works best for you.

My housing is a Gates pd-170, and I am looking for a smart, well proven way to secure this rather large housing to one of the D-rings on my harness.

Anders

globaldiver:
What is the best way to secure the video housing in respect to both having good mobility and decrease the entanglement risk.
Some use spiral lanyards, which I do not really like, but I wonder what method you have come up with that works best for you.

My housing is a Gates pd-170, and I am looking for a smart, well proven way to secure this rather large housing to one of the D-rings on my harness.

Anders

I know you said you don't like them, but the coiled/spiral lanyards work great. I idea of the coil/spiral is the camera is always secured to you. The coil extends when you're filming and can be clipped short when you're not filming.

IMHO this is the best solution unless you are willing to have your rig not secured to you at all times.

I've been diving with a Gates housing for over 15 yrs. Its always in my hand with a wrist lanyard. I would not like to leave the rig dangling from a cord attached to my BC. This would imply that it could bang into stuff, I may not be able to see it all the time, etc. I attach my 2 dive computers to the rig which puts them in front of me at all times - very easy to see. I'm hoseless, so no fumbling around for a pressure gauge. I find this setup very convenient.

I've been using an Amphibico VX1000 housing for a few years, another rather large housing. I always secure it to my left wrist with two wrist lanyards. If I'm shooting on a vertical wall with 3000 ft. of blue under me, I just feel more confident with two lanyards in case I need to let the housing dangle so I can use my left hand. So far, no problems.

Barracuda2

Back
Top Bottom