Best wall/valley diving in Asia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

floyd2466

Reaction score
Just came back from the Keramas, off Okinawa, where I did the best dive I have ever had. Basically it involved swimming across a 200m valley flanked on either side by 40m walls. At one point I was trailing my team and a bit below them - looking up at them swimming between the two walls, it really looked almost like they were floating half-way up this valley in mid-air!! Incredible!! Especially in that amazing royal blue sea, it was just breath-takingly beautiful and impressive and made me realise yet again that I love 'dramatic' landscape (or should I say 'seascape'!) much more than looking at fish or examining coral close up.

My question, therefore, is: where's the best place to go if you're into enjoying dramatic 'macro' scenery - especially big walls/valleys.

Try Sipadan off the east coast of Sabah, Borneo. Dramatic wall that steeps down to 600m+. Turtles and sharks are guaranteed, I've had dives there where I've seen 100+ turtles and 50+ sharks in one dive. Mostly whitetips and some big grey reef, if you're lucky you can get hammerheads and manta rays as well.
Usually pretty strong current there, sometimes washing machine and risk of dangerous down currents at the southern and northern tip at certain times.
Combine it with the weird creatures of the nearby islands and you have a perfect diving holiday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom