Best value location for PADI Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, here goes.

People have mentioned Cozumel as a possible destination - have you considered Cancun?
Shallow dives with a wee bit of surge and for me less stressful than Coz.
Coz dives tend to be deeper and to be perfectly frank frequented by people whose skill level often does not match the dive conditions.

Since Coz has been mentioned ie as a travel destination I am going to give you an alternative to consider.

Red Sea Egypt

Apart from the good weather, a relatively small advantage is that you will be exposed to divers from outside the US - this might be an education in itself (good or bad :) )

You can do your OW there and while there you could get your AOW done after a couple of fun dives (I recommend you do AOW as soon as you can after OW. I think you'll get more out of the course that way). Like Coz, there are divers doing dives that they shouldn't be doing but having said that I think Egypt can offer good diving whether deep or shallow and I think it's a more interesting dive location than Coz. I'm speaking specifically of Hurghada / Marsa Alam as comparisons to Coz.

Anyway I hope that provides more food for thought.

Very interesting, thanks. I have looked at Cancun. I will say that having worked in counterterrorism at a rather high level, the security of Egyptian Red Sea locations is sketchy at best, especially for Americans. In fact, the US State Dept. lists Egypt as level 2 warning, Exercise Increased Caution saying "Terrorist groups continue plotting attacks in Egypt. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations." I think there are safer dive destinations.

from my experience it's quite challenging to scuba on a mountain 6400 above sea level.

Not really. I used to dive in Lake Tahoe. Basically shallower depths at elevation are equivalent to deeper depths at sea level due to the difference in atmospheric pressure when you get out of the water. I used to dive in Lake Tahoe. The bigger deal is waiting long enough to cross mountain passes. IIRC correctly, Lake Tahoe is at about 6400 feet, and the lowest mountain pass I had to get across the border was 7500.

If you were take a class locally to you they'd have this under control.

Not really. I used to dive in Lake Tahoe. Basically shallower depths at elevation are equivalent to deeper depths at sea level due to the difference in atmospheric pressure when you get out of the water. I used to dive in Lake Tahoe. The bigger deal is waiting long enough to cross mountain passes. IIRC correctly, Lake Tahoe is at about 6400 feet, and the lowest mountain pass I had to get across the border was 7500.

If you were take a class locally to you they'd have this under control.

Not to quibble, but you were diving in a lake, not on a mountain, which is what I meant. I was being facetious. Btw, Tahoe is the 2nd deepest US lake after Crater and Pend Oreille is 5th. As you likely know, you'll have to cross a pass on Rt 90 to get to Idaho, but it's only 3015'

Yeah, I noticed that.

Not much use as they’re club based and you need regular access for training purposes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom