Best value canister for recreational diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't seen anyone mention NiteRider ... and their Blackwater 3000 halogen light is around $400. It's an awesome light, with a 9.5 AH NiMH battery that's small and lightweight ... it weighs less than two pounds and is about a half-pound negative in the water. The battery clips onto standard webbing such as weight belt or harness waist strap and is rectangular shaped so it tucks in real close to your body when diving. The light head has two halogen lamps ... 12W and 20W. You can get about 3 hours burn time on the lower setting, and more than an hour using both lamps (very bright). The lamp mounts on your hand using a velcro strap (similar to a goodman handle but adjustable to fit your hand) and has an on/off switch on the light head that allows you to select either lamp ... or both.

If you're looking for an "inexpensive" canister light, it's worth looking at ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

For Video HID lights BITE.

Yes, they have a high color temperature. But their spectral distribution stinks, and that's THE important parameter when it comes to shooting video.

A Xenophot lamp produces the best spectral distribution. That is what the REAL video folks use, and there's a reason - yes, they need more AH of battery for a given burn duration at the same brightness, BUT you get proper spectral distribution of the light produced.

There are very reasonable SLA-cannister Xenophot light systems available.

I wholeheartedly second NWGratfulDiver's vote - the Niterider BW3000. Best dive light ever made, IMO.

BTW Things I dont like about HID: wonky, streaky blue spectrum reminds me of the sixties; silly-ass battery-draining warmup process; bulb expense.

And during daylight I can turn the BW3000 on & off whenever I feel like it.

I second PADIpro.

3 lights for less than $300.00USD!

Sure they're ugly.....

3 for less than $300.00

Sure they're ugly....

3 for less than $300.00

As far as "quality" goes, I will put my DIY up against any "Professional" canister for ruggedness and depth ratings.

My first one finally blew up (Uhm IMPLODED) at 200ft. It was built "light" because of material shortage. Since then I have what I'm looking for, and I assume they would now go to 400ft for all I know.

Even my cheapest one doesn't spill a drop at 150-180.

They're cheap, relatively bulky, and the burn time isn't comparable to HID.

To this point, none of these characteristics have been a problem.

I also have loaned mine more than once....even to HID owners when theirs didn't work!

Yes they ate some humble pie that day!!!!

And YES I have it on video to prove it!

hehehheh

I admit I can be a bit slow to change but I feel in many respects that HID lights are a bit over rated. They have a lot of gotta have it cuz it's new and cool appeal and the burn time is great but the color balance isn't and I agree a good 30-50 watt halogen light can still stomp a good HID into the mud under many conditions.

I have an OMS phantom and I can use a bulb with anywhere from 10 to 50 watts depending on the brightness versus burn time I want. The lead acid batteries are cheap and easy to maintain and an extra pack or two is simple to DIY. The light is super tough with a very durable light head and an adjustable beam. And the best part is I bought the light and the charger for $275 in very lightly used condition.

I haven't been able to DIY a cheap HID yet. If I could, I would, as the size and burn time is nice.

I'm still in your camp DA. You can't beat halogen for price and durability. Besides my Halogen will work just fine totally dripping wet. An HID is smoked in that department.

Why do you think I lent my Halogen to the HID guy?

I have the NIMH 10W HID focusable H1 head. Works great. Comes with Maha 777+ charger! I think its brighter than the new Halcyon and other manufactures 10W. Very small and rugged.

HIDs are great DIVE lights, but they bite for video. As was mentioned their color spectrum is horrible.

You ABSOLUTELY WANT a focusable lighthead; I wouldn't own one without.

I have an older Halcyon with the SLA battery (I think its a Pro 4) and the test-tube-style lighthead. I like it. No problems thus far.

Back
Top Bottom