Best underwater video camera under $5000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speardiver.

The 5Diii is one great camera (now it has ML RAW). But you are looking at serious money and a lot of post work to get the results.

The 70D. Yes I looked at that too before getting the Gh3. But I think it's hampered by poor codecs and low bitrates. But I am envious of its silky smooth AF.

Lights... If you want to be serious about lights. You need to look at 2x 4000lumens. I made a mistake with my gopro and got 2x 1000. No way near enough.

Once you start looking seriously at semipro / pro underwater camera kit. $10k can be spent in a blink of an eye and if I'm honest for obtaining only 'slightly' better results than a properly used GoPro .

What is your end goal with filming? As this could save you a massive expense.

Regards

Rich.

IMHO, filming while free-diving is the real limiting factor. To fully take advantage of the capabilities of the expensive cameras like the 5d, you need to adjust the manual settings as the lighting conditions change. Making on the fly camera adjustments while free diving will be difficult.

The UW footage shot with the Canon 5d you linked is not impressive. The problem is not the camera. The operator did not optimally adjust the camera settings. I think you could get UW footage just as good as that, with a much less expensive system. With your budget you can get a DSLR for topside shooting and still have money left over to get a less expensive UW camera/housing.

Curious, not that the GoPro 3+ is amazing, but what about the footage is not too your liking ? It's perfect for free-diving. Might be easier to make a suggestion if we know what you don't like about your GoPro.

Last edited:
My main purpose for the camera will be short promotional videos for freediving and spearfishing gear, to be viewed online. Perhaps if the footage is good enough, a spearfishing dvd for retail distribution.

Most spearfishing footage is shot from a distance, to capture the diver and fish. I'd expect decent video can only be taken on days with very good visibility. I don't have much experience shooting video underwater, but I have the idea that when shooting from this distance and trying to capture such a wide scene (basically like the video I posted), that lights won't make much of a difference. Correct me if I'm wrong. And yes when freediving you don't have time to play with settings, so everything has to be on Auto I assume?

I haven't used the HERO3+ at all underwater. I can tell you that top side it has noticeably better results in low light conditions than its predecessors. I just assumed, perhaps erroneously, that to get semi-pro video quality I need to invest more than $400. I would be very satisfied with the video quality like the one I posted.

Last edited:
Get a sony rx100 mark II in nauticam housing with a wide angle lens and a red filter
Total cost $2200 and it works wonders down to 25-30 meters with a a filter in auto mode
This is an example clip with the above set up
Shots with lights are only close
[youtubehq]vDsJaR2Crgs[/YouTubehq]

Might see if this is good enough quality for you. They shot it all without lights afaik. Here's the Vimeo version - better quality than Youtube typically. It's a lot of close-up work since that tends to be what it's better at but the shot where he drops down on the wreck gives you an idea of what to expect.

[vimeo]57088099[/vimeo]

They also used a GoPro II so yours should be slightly better. And it doesn't appear to be as deep as you plan to shoot.

really wish they wouldn't have grabbed the sharks though...

Since you mention shooting from a distance, a GoPro wouldn't be my first choice since it's a fixed focus, no zoom camera.

Something like one of the recent Canon camcorders in an Aditech Mangrove or similar housing might be a larger but fairly streamlined option also. And can be done under $5K. https://www.aditech-usa.com/en/uw-still-digital-video/cat-238-1-16.html

I've seen some good video shot using a Panasonic GH3 in a Nauticam housing as well. Sterling from Backscatter shot some recently. But the Keldan Lights he was using cost more than the camera/housing combined most likely. A lot of this is closeup work also.

[vimeo]70077204[/vimeo]

Last edited:
When you say shooting from a distance, how far are you talking ? As Steve said, the GoPro likes to shoot super wide angle from close up. Distance shots with the GoPro will make everything look tiny.

You are correct about lights. They are only useful for close up shots.

If you would be satisfied with the video quality you linked, you can save yourself a lot of money. The GoPro black 3 and 3+ will both shoot comparable video to what you posted as long as you use a filter. However, distance shots will be a problem.

Another option in addition to the recommendations others mentioned is the Panasonic LX7. I have one and it works great. Click the link in my signature. The goliath grouper video was done with the LX7. Deep dark 90 ft dive.

As much as I love my Nauticam housing, in your shoes, I would get the Ikelite housing since you will mainly be shooting in auto mode and not making adjustments. You can get an LX7 and Ikelite housing for under $1000.

At 30 meters with a filter I would go for the sony rx100 mark II
For the housing if you don't need a wide angle I would make sure your set up is slightly negative
The ikelite may be an option but is much bigger and will have drag
There is one stop difference in terms of performance at the depths you plan to work between the lx7 and the rx100 Mk II
The gopro at those depths with a filter will produce grainy images
I would have recommended the lx7 of you had time to do custom white balance but for a full auto set up the RX100 is a winner
The mark 2 is 1/3 stop brighter but also has much better corners and image quality

Has anyone heard any news re. a Panasonic GX7 housing?
The GX7 looks very interesting, and the small housing would be a great asset. From what I've read, the main things it gives up to the GH3 is no IS in video and weather sealing.
NA-GX7 preview.

Edit: I just got this reply from Nauticam re. the GX7 housing.

"Thank you for the enquiries and interest in our product.
I am glade to tell that we are supporting this model. The shipping date is not confirmed yet, as many thing will affect the production. for the most updated information, please keep tune with www.nauticam.com."

Last edited:
My main concern with the Gopro is distortion, how straight shapes near the edges of the frame become curved. Do cameras like the GH3 not have this problem?

With the Gopro my idea would be to use the resolution that is least wide angle, so as to not have things look too far away. Is this the right approach? If yes which is the best resolution?

Drag is not really an issue. I'm so used to diving with a speargun, which is much bulkier than any of the housing mentioned, that any of those housings would be a relief to dive with like holding nothing at all. I actually prefer to have a camera and housing significantly larger than the Gopro, to help me focus on the filming, if that makes any sense.

My main concern with the Gopro is distortion, how straight shapes near the edges of the frame become curved. Do cameras like the GH3 not have this problem?

Well it can have the same problem! - if you use a similar lens like the GoPro has (for example the 8mm panasonic fisheye) But with a normal lens you won't get any where as much.

If you you wanted a normal-ish lens then the 12-35mm is a good start. This has a Angle of View of 84° compared to the GoPro's which are: Wide 127° Medium 95° Narrow 67°

With the Gopro my idea would be to use the resolution that is least wide angle, so as to not have things look too far away. Is this the right approach? If yes which is the best resolution?

That works in theory, but ideally with any underwater video/photo you really want as least water between you and the subject + the factor the lens is quite soft on the gopro - you might end up with disappointing results.

Drag is not really an issue. I'm so used to diving with a speargun, which is much bulkier than any of the housing mentioned, that any of those housings would be a relief to dive with like holding nothing at all. I actually prefer to have a camera and housing significantly larger than the Gopro, to help me focus on the filming, if that makes any sense.

The housing for the NA-GH3 is BIG! (plus by the time you add handles etc etc)

I think the RX100ii and LX7 as mentioned above might be are good cameras for you. Well within budget and they produces good results to boot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom