Best Underwater Cameras and Prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhilK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi I have no idea where to post this so I put it here (mods feel free to move it to somewhere more appropriate)..

I'm looking to buy an underwater camera to take plenty of photos of my lessons and OW dives, but I have very little clue about what a good camera is. Can anybody recommend me a camera and give me a rough price? Also any photos taken with that camera etc are welcome.

Thanks a lot fellas.

HI - I'm not a fella, but I'll try to help how I can :wink:

First, welcome to ScubaBoard and to our enormously helpful UW Photo area :D There are a great number of members here using all sorts of systems in all sorts of diving conditions, so you'll find answers to pretty much any question you can think of relating to diving and taking images underwater!

Second (why did I start numbering LOL), check out the fabulous Sticky at the top of this forum (you can get there via the Pink Link in my sig, too). Inside you will find all sorts of things from getting started tips and tricks, to choosing a camera, to where to shop and find reviews and prices, to links on various models of specific cameras with discussions and images. All of the information has been contributed by our fine members and I try my best to keep it up to date as new bits are brought to my attention. I hope it's a useful reference, not only as you are starting out searching for a system but through your whole photo adventure.

Third (more numbering, I can't stop myself this morning), you are likely not going to be able to have a camera on you while you are doing your training dives. Taking underwater photos is what is known as "task-loading" and you will need to be concentrating on the basic, foundation skills you are learning and developing during your course - not adding more things.

The very best thing you can do for your underwater photography is to establish excellent diving skills - and the only way to get those is to learn to dive and practice sans camera until you have them down pat. A little search in this forum will find some referenced posts with various people's ideas and tips for staring out diving and then adding a camera - some think you need 100s of dives, some think it's OK to start pretty much right away. Each diver is different, but the discussion is a very good place to get a jump start on the whole matter.

Have fun!

My mindset as a fresh-out-of-the-pool-diver was "Cool ... now I dive I need a camera". So I asked one of the philanthropic locals who took a me out for my first post cert dive ... thanks again Mat ... what his camera set-up was. Same response came from him too. Task-loading is best limited to basic skills sets for new divers.

But ... I wanna go buy a camera right now and play with it while I dive :( ... I know how you feel.

Oh righto, thanks a lot! I founf a camera that is $1695, but I can probably afford that after a long saving - which will give me time to improve my skills. Thanks a lot.

I absolutely agree with In10se, bringing a camera is somewhat of a task load and doing it on your first dives it probably stretching it.

When you do get around to it, there are plenty of options our there, and cheaper than $1700. For a "first" camera, you can go pretty basic and get a decent compact digital camera and an underwater housing for it. That way you'll have both a surface camera and an UW camera. An example is one of the Canon Ixus series (or Powershot SD, if you're in the states), which will run you about $175, plus the WP-DC14 underwater housing, which will cost you about $199. That's a complete above-and-below-package for under $500. And it'll get you pretty good pictures (I've seen plenty good ones taken with this or similar). Or you can move up a notch and do the PowerShot G9 and WP-DC21 housing (my setup). That delivers excellent pictures, even at good depths and in less-than ideal lighting. It's a bit more costly than the 750, though.

But for now, stick to getting the hang of diving and wait with the camera.

FWIW I'm not necessarily in the camp that says "don't get a camera" as a new diver. If you KNOW you want one, get one - just hand it off to your guide or dive master on your fun dives after certification for a while or do dives where you can simply hang out in one spot instead of having to keep up with a group.

If you dive with a private guide or a single buddy, you can create a dive plan that allows you to work on your skills and add basic camera use quite easily. Keep the camera clipped to you so you can drop it as needed. Make sure that you are diving first and working with your camera second. The diving part is the most important part.

I'm looking at buying the Sea&Sea DX860G. It comes with a strobe, a close up lens, an underwater housing and the camera all in one package. Anybody have any experience with it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom