Best travel book for a first time dive visit to Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also kitesurfing at Lac Bay. Often they're near one of the southern dive sites on the west side also - the food truck follows them afaik.

To my knowledge they stopped doing that, due to regulations (the Southern sites are property of Cargill, and they do not allow such commercial activities there). The foodtrucks can now be found near the airport.
[/QUOTE]

Also kitesurfing at Lac Bay. Often they're near one of the southern dive sites on the west side also - the food truck follows them afaik.

To my knowledge they stopped doing that, due to regulations (the Southern sites are property of Cargill, and they do not allow such commercial activities there). The foodtrucks can now be found near the airport.

Kite City and Cactus Blue burger trucks were kicked off of "Kite Beach" near Atlantis dive site in late 2013 or early 2014. Cargill didn't really mind them being there, just as they don't mind the kite board rental and instruction operators being there now, but there was some government permitting issue with operating a food service business on Cargill property. So the foods truck moved elsewhere.

Cactus Blue burger trailer has been under new ownership for a couple of years now and is located at Donkey Beach. The Kite City food truck is usually found operating at Te Amo beach. Both are just across the street from the airport, south of Kralendijk. A bit farther south you can find Asko's King Kong Burgers & Hot Dogs trailer at Bachelor Beach. All of them serve up great food.

Rent a truck at least for a few days. It's fairly cheap, and it's enjoyable (for us at least) to meander around the island leisurely. Drive through the nature preserve, hit some restaurants, etc. It's fun. Everything you need to know can be found in a pamphlet or just from this forum. Dive sites, Map, Car. That's all there is. :)

watching the Tarpon feed in the lights off Rumrunners is amusing if you get a waterfront table. Or do a night dive near there and they'll come n fast when you light up dinner.

There's a windmill farm somewhere on the east side if that sort of thing interests you.

If you drive past the one way going north (to Kaprata) you then have to continue to Rincon before heading back south. One of the Flamingo sites - I believe it's marked Gotomeer is a little inland off that road. We also saw some in the salt pans near Salt Pier once.

Funny to watch once.

I don't see the attraction but people drive up into Slagbaaai Park also - your BMP tag covers the admission. There's a couple of dive sites there.

Coco Beach Club is new since I was there. Located just south of Bari Reef. Bari makes most peoples must dive list.
I was truly bummed that Slagbaai has feral goats. I would like to see some native or migratory birds, but the goats eat everything except the cactus, and there are no birds except flamingoes.

I was truly bummed that Slagbaai has feral goats. I would like to see some native or migratory birds, but the goats eat everything except the cactus, and there are no birds except flamingos.
No doubt that Bonaire's feral goat population is an introduced invasive species that negatively impact the island's natural vegetation. They have no natural predators on the island and pretty much roam most everywhere on the island except where they're effectively fenced out of some gated private properties. But feral goats have been roaming Bonaire since the early 16th century and Bonaire still hosts 200+ bird species today. None of the bird species are endemic to the island, however there are several sub-species that are unique to the ABC islands.

Bonaire also has significant migratory bird population at certain times of the year, including several species of pelicans, pipers, terns, herons, egrets, plovers, and ducks. Gotomeer (Goto Lake) at the southern edge of Slaagbai is a great place to see them. The northern portions of the park are dry and woody, so that area doesn't typically attract migratory birds. But there are plenty of other local species to be seen there.

Sorry you didn't see any during your visit. I'm not normally a "birder" at home but Bonaire's birds have been fun for us to watch over the years. Binoculars are now essential gear for our winter trips to the island.

More info about Bonaire's birds is at the links below if interested:
List of birds of Bonaire - Wikipedia
Birdwatching or Birding on Bonaire
Bonaire / Bird Watching

For what it's worth STINAPA does recognize the negative impact of feral livestock in the national park. They've done a few studies and engaged in some action such as fencing off some areas and trapping some goats in attempt to control population density to "manageable levels" (whatever that is.) This study on feral livestock in the park discusses some of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom