"best" timing for tiger encounters at cocos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leakydrysuit

Registered
Reaction score
I am familiar with the usual information regarding diving seasons at Cocos, but I am specifically curious about tiger shark encounters. Are they completely random, or are they more likely at certain times of the year? Thanks.

As I recall they’re usually there in the same locations, around Manuelita I think.

just dump a couple of hundred gallons of blood from a slaughterhouse in the water, wait 15 minutes and then throw a half dozen skinned sheep carcasses in the water - tiger shark encounters are now guaranteed.

Michael

I have only been there 3 times, in September 2018, December 2020, and September 2022. I saw no Tiger Shark in 2018 trip. I saw 2 Tiger Sharks in 2020 trip, each in Submerged Rock & Manuelita Channel (big & pregnant mama Tiger Shark), as shown in the video, below.

I saw 3 Tiger Sharks in 2022 trip, 2 Tiger Sharks in Manuelita Channel twice, a Tiger Shark in Small Dos Amigos once, as shown in the video, below. The Tiger Sharks sighting in Manuelita Channel is shown around 7 minutes of the video and in Small Dos Amigos at 17 minutes: 20 seconds of the video.

Based on that limited data, I would say that you have a good chance to see a Tiger Shark in Manuelita Channel in September.

If you want 100% chance to see one, just go to Tiger Beach, Bahamas.

I have only been there 3 times, in September 2018, December 2020, and September 2022. I saw no Tiger Shark in 2018 trip. I saw 2 Tiger Sharks in 2020 trip, each in Submerged Rock & Manuelita Channel (big & pregnant mama Tiger Shark), as shown in the video, below.

I saw 3 Tiger Sharks in 2022 trip, 2 Tiger Sharks in Manuelita Channel twice, a Tiger Shark in Small Dos Amigos once, as shown in the video, below. The Tiger Sharks sighting in Manuelita Channel is shown around 7 minutes of the video and in Small Dos Amigos at 17 minutes: 20 seconds of the video.

Based on that limited data, I would say that you have a good chance to see a Tiger Shark in Manuelita Channel in September.

If you want 100% chance to see one, just go to Tiger Beach, Bahamas.

Thanks. I have definitely considered tiger beach. It may not make sense to some, but I think I would enjoy the unpredictability of hopefully seeing one at cocos vs the tiger beach experience. I can always keep TB as a backup plan. A friend just went out in October and reported multiple relatively close sightings. Maybe not necessarily a good thing... Definitely not boring though.

Thanks. I have definitely considered tiger beach. It may not make sense to some, but I think I would enjoy the unpredictability of hopefully seeing one at cocos vs the tiger beach experience. I can always keep TB as a backup plan. A friend just went out in October and reported multiple relatively close sightings. Maybe not necessarily a good thing... Definitely not boring though.
If you go to Tiger Beach & surrounding by several sharks, keep eyes on the Tiger Sharks around you. Forget about other sharks (Lemons, Caribbean Reef Sharks, etc.). Otherwise this could happen to you:

If you go to Tiger Beach & surrounding by several sharks, keep eyes on the Tiger Sharks around you. Forget about other sharks (Lemons, Caribbean Reef Sharks, etc.). Otherwise this could happen to you:

:eek::eek::eek: Crazy! Thanks for sharing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom