Best time to start DMT in Koh Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBerg

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello :)

Just looking for some advice on when would be the best month to start a DMT course on Koh Tao, with the best chance of getting kept on to work after? I can be quite flexible with dates.

Any advice very welcome

Personally I would head west to the Andaman Sea. At least you will get better diving there whilst doing your training. As Steven said in the last post employment prospects as a DM in Thailand are few and far between, particularly if you want to work legally. I would also take Steven's comment regarding those willing to work for free a step further, a few years ago in Pattaya I dived with a now defunct shop where the DM's had actually paid the shop a significant sum of money to 'work' there!
Legally even those working for free and those paying to work, still need work permits, despite what you may be told by a DC offering internships, be very carefull, it is anything but a good idea to be caught working illegally in Thailand.

Koh Tao offers year round diving, and therefore the dates or season of your DMT shouldn't affect your employment prospects too much. What will affect your employment prospects will be where you do your course, and your personality and attitude throughout the course. Despite what others say, freelance DM work is abundant around Koh Tao for the right divemasters, but newly qualified DMs tend to find work or jobs easiest at their dive centre of training. My advice would be to find the right dive centre with the right instructors and qualities (facilities, programmes, equipment, eco, atmosphere). I did my DM and IDC with Master Divers in Mae Haad, they prioritise quality training over quantity and provide the best courses on the island. Check them out if you're serious about working in the dive industry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom