Best time to go to Perhentian Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fm2002

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Been wanting to go to Perhentian Island. Can anyone tell me the best times of the year to go for the best chance of good visibility ?

Best time is July and August. The visibility is never good during a long time since max depth is low 29 meters and current strong in some places. I was pretty disappointed by diving in Perhentians but if you go there, you have 3 pretty good dives to do : T3, Temple and Sugar Wreck. Take care at what Dive Center you choose. :D Look at the equipment and at the reputation. Enjoy and dive safe ! :wink:

I'm going to Perhentian this weekend and will be staying at Bubbles. I'll share my experience after my trip. Hope everything will be good since this will be my first trip there.

We will also have 4 OW students joining us on this trip too

I'm going to Perhentian this weekend and will be staying at Bubbles. I'll share my experience after my trip. Hope everything will be good since this will be my first trip there.

We will also have 4 OW students joining us on this trip too

Be great to hear back from you !

Best time is July and August. The visibility is never good during a long time since max depth is low 29 meters and current strong in some places. I was pretty disappointed by diving in Perhentians but if you go there, you have 3 pretty good dives to do : T3, Temple and Sugar Wreck. Take care at what Dive Center you choose. :D Look at the equipment and at the reputation. Enjoy and dive safe ! :wink:

Little confused by your response. Do you mean; the best time is July and August, but even than the visibility is not that good due to shallow depths and strong currents ???

yes thats what I say ... the visibility is not guaranteed because of local conditions : no depth, near the main coast, current ... Lucky or unlucky. In June, they had a really good visibility ( 20 m ) during five days only according what I saw and what an instructor told me, after that its more 10 m... :idk: As they say in Perhentian ... It will come ! :cool2:

Hi Richardy,

How was your trip to Bubbles?
I am planning on heading there in a couple of weeks and would b interested in any feedbacks.

Cheers!

You can dive Perhentian from March to October in general. From November to February during monsoon season, dive shops are closed as far as I know. Visibility wise, it is hard to say when is the best time to visit. Just like most dive sites, sometimes the viz is good, others days not so great. In general however it is not bad.

AquaDiving1234:

I have dived with Bubbles many times. They are the only operation at turtle creek bay. Recently they have rebuilt their resort and everything is quite new. They are very friendly. Staying there has a bonus as green turtles come to the shore to lay eggs very often. If you are lucky, you may get to witness some. Bubbes also have a very good turtle conservation program. You can learn a lot about turtles with them. Have fun.

Hi Aquadiving1234,

My trip was good. First impression when we were arriving by boat is that this resort is secluded. It turned out to be a good thing because there is no loud music from beach disco or something like that to disturb your sleep when you want to rest at night. The staff are very friendly and room is clean too. Everything looks very new, I guess it's coz they just refurbished the place.

The dive center is also well equipped and the weather at this time of the year was great. Swimming pool condition with hardly any current. Good vis on most dives and we dived Tokong Laut twice coz that seems to be the best dive site around. We also did a night dive at the house reef but exiting was a bit of a problem due to low tide.

And we got lucky because we managed to see a green turtle come onshore to lay eggs. Jimmy the resident marine biologist brought along an infrared camera so that we can actually see the turtle lay eggs without disturbing it with flash lights. Of course, we have to keep our distance but it was still a thrill.

Best part is, our OW students are now hooked and we are already planning our next trip.

Back
Top Bottom