Best time to go to Coz (March or April)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the sharkman

Contributor
Reaction score
Life is good when you have to make decisions like this...
I will have the middle of March thru April off and want to plan a trip to coz (10 days?). I would like to avoid the worst part of the spring bread rush, what is my best bet during March/April? Would one week differ from another during these two months? I am so ready to schedule my trip... Help me in this most difficult decision.:guitar:

Between college & high school spring breaks from institutions in the US, Mexico & around the world, you're talking a fairly broad span.

I did a bit of research on this out of personal interest a while back and determined that 03/11-04/11 accounts for most of the activity. The weeks before & after this core period are preferred if you want to avoid the crush. Given what you've indicated about your time frame, late April might be best.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Low season prices usually kick in after the middle of April. That. I believe, is an indicator of the end of spring break.

We have been to Coz in the Months of January, February, April, May, June, early July, November and December and every trip was a delight. My guess is that late April would be the better choice for you because whatever Spring Breakers come to Coz will have returned to the rigors of school and the early summer denizens will not have headed there.

The only time to avoid Coz is from mid-July to early-November, unless you want to stay up nights wondering about whether your trip will be ruined by a hurricane.

Our favorite months are May and December-January. The former because the water is toasty warm and the days are temperate. The latter because the Spotted Eagle Rays show up in droves and because New Years on Coz is a very pleasant experience. However, the water temp at that time of the year is a little cooler--around 78 deg F according to the logs I have kept.

Scorpionfish

RE: "I will have the middle of March thru April off and want to plan a trip to coz (10 days?). "

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Now tell me, how crowded is it going to be? It looks like we'll be there in the middle of the spring break (probably 2nd and 3rd weeks of March). How will this effect renting vehicles, diving, eating out, etc? I realize it is not Cancun, but I am concerned never the less.:sharks: :guitar:

Quoting from your initial post, "Life is good when you have to make decisions like this...," I hope that you sincerely mean it as a glance at your activity on this Coz trip to date----> http://www.scubaboard.com/search.ph...d=147404&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending could leave one with the impression that it's shading over into obsessional worry. This surely would be a shame, as pleasant anticipation is such a big part of the fun of a dive vacation.

Coz is a not to worry dive trip. It's been a dedicated dive destination for over 20 years, accommodates over 3/4 million dives a year, has over 65 dive ops that are safe, professional, have the gear you need & will show you a good time u/w, and is populated by friendly folk who want you to enjoy yourself.

See here, Old Pippin, if you can't unlax over a Coz vacation you're never going to survive planning for Papua New Guinea, Wakatobi in the Tukang Besis or the Komodo Islands somewhere down the road.

Also, I'm a bit confused as yesterday you stated, "I will have the middle of March thru April off and want to plan a trip to coz (10 days?). I would like to avoid the worst part of the spring bread rush, what is my best bet during March/April?," and today you indicate, "It looks like we'll be there in the middle of the spring break (probably 2nd and 3rd weeks of March)."

In any event, as you obviously know it's not going to be as quiet as if you went early March or late April. However, it's not going to be intolerable, either. Look on the bright side---at least you'll be missing Carnival 2/26/03-3/4/03.

Here's what I suggest that you do: (1) Rent your vehicle early, as if you wait until you arrive there well could be just junk left; (2) Dive with an op that offers six packs or other smaller boats, like the already discussed Dive Paradise EDP or Belinda with Aqua-Safari; (3) Avoid centers where the spring breakers drink, mingle & party, like Carlos & Charlies, Kiss My Cactus, the plaza, etc. This is easy to do; (4) Eat at off the main drag places, of which there are scads.

Trust me on this one, sharkman101, you're gonna have a fab time.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo once bubbled...
RE: "I will have the middle of March thru April off and want to plan a trip to coz (10 days?). "

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Sorry, Doc,

It was just my abbreviated way of saying, "There is almost no bad time to go to Coz!"

Hey, Sharkman, I agree with Doc, just relax and go. Coz is not a difficult place to go to, be on, dive from and enjoy!

Scorpionfish

Thanks for the advise. You just have to understand that this will be my first trip to Coz and not having been there I am simply trusting your opinion. Spring break is the vacation period that I was forced to take off, even though I wanted to avoid spring breakers (long story), so hopefully you can undrstand my concern. Thanks for the tips, I will now plan my vacation without concern for the crowds. Time to dive, drink, sleep, and repeat.:guitar:

Back
Top Bottom