Best time to dive Raja Ampat??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For those of you that have been to RA please help!!

When is the best time to dive in Raja Ampat?

Is there a significant difference in the weather and visibility for 10/23-11/3 compared to 12/6-12/17? Or would the conditions be very similar?

Thank you so much for the help!!

If the weather there does what it is 'generally' supposed to do, the December period would be a safer bet for flat seas and fewer showers ... though you can never count on the showers totally drying up there. For the viz, I've seen it be amazing and crappy in the same time slot several years apart. Dives sites closest to the larget land masses will suffer from rain runoff any time of the year, less of an issue in Misool than in the North where there are more larger islands. Having said all that, the same El Nino that's giving you rain in California is causing drought conditions in some areas of Indonesia, which can be followed by bursts of heavy rain, clouding the dive sites further. Such was the case in October-November of 2015. I think of the best season in Raja Ampat as mid-November through January. YMMV

PS - I would suggest that your speculation in another thread that October/November is 'the best time' is inaccurate.

Last edited:
I went in March 2014 and it was absolutely amazing, one dive I came up saying I must have seen a million fish and that is not exaggerating. Went again in early June and the volume of fish was nowhere close and it was completely different. Great but not amazing. As such would thoroughly recommend March - and suggest you give June a miss

If you have flexibility, the quoted best time of the year to dive in Raja Ampat is mid-October to mid-December. The outside weather may not necessarily be good at that time of the year but the diving conditions are usually the best.

I was there from Jan 6 to 18 . The weather is good , some morning shower but clear up fast .
The area for diving is really big , north and south . During my visit period , j don't enjoy the north region at all . Poor visibility and not much to see under water .
After that we spend the rest of the time in the south and mid region . Fabulous dive , although the visibility is not really great 15 to 20 meter but cloudy type visibility but the fish life is tremendous . Excellent dive .
From the liveaboard crew , best time there is from Dec till mid March

Hi - forecasting weather conditions over a few month period
For those of you that have been to RA please help!!

When is the best time to dive in Raja Ampat?

Is there a significant difference in the weather and visibility for 10/23-11/3 compared to 12/6-12/17? Or would the conditions be very similar?

Thank you so much for the help!!

It's really difficult to make accurate weather predictions, especially about the future - I changed a wonderful quote here. Looking at multiple data sources, a weather professional can make 24 - 72 hour forecasts or even a one week forecast, but comparing a week in late October 2017 to mid-December 2017 is tough. From my experience, I'd book my trip in December rather than in late October. In general, I would limit my Raja Ampat trips from mid-November until late March. No doubt that others divers have experienced great conditions during other months, but on average November to March is the best season (e.g., NW monsoon). ENSO and other regional forcing can play a major and complicating role in dive conditions in eastern Indonesia. Whenever you decide to go, only an experienced cruise director will effectively take advantage of the daily tide cycle and lunar cycle that foster the best dive conditions for any particular site. Have fun, Raja Amat is wonderful.

Just spent Dec 24-Jan 6 diving in Raja - we had great vis and warm water. Our friends dove 2 weeks prior and had poor vis in earlier December.. I was told it was all luck :)

If you have flexibility, the quoted best time of the year to dive in Raja Ampat is mid-October to mid-December. The outside weather may not necessarily be good at that time of the year but the diving conditions are usually the best.

Whose "quote"?

Hey BeachBunny14,

The best time to dive Raja Ampat is from November to May and the visibility should be good all this time unless you are unlucky, of course!
To put all your chances to your side, I would choose 12/6-12/17.

I invite you to have a look to the Indo Siren trip blogs in Raja Ampat. :)

Cheers! and enjoy Raja Ampat! You won't be disappointed!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom