Best time to dive Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwestdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Finally made it to Key Largo yesterday (the drive was loooong). Enjoyed it. However, the water was a little choppy and I got my first case of the Atlantic flu. Vis was terrible too. Was wondering, when is the best time to dive in Key Largo? Looking for calm seas and good vis. Thanks for the help, y'all.

midwestdvr

The next few days look good. Yesterday afternoon's seas were two to three footers, with over 40' of visibility at Molasses Reef. Today and tomorrow, seas probably won't exceed two feet. Visibility should improve even more as the wind lays down. I had open water students on Sunday, and after hearing reports of 3-5' seas, opted to make the first two training dives in the lagoon at Jules' Undersea Park. They had no problem finishing up at the reef yesterday. Give it another try if you can. It should be pretty nice out there. Generally speaking, Summer is the best diving season here.

My wife did her cert dives November (not last November though). Vis was good, water temp about 76F. Generally, February through April are months of higher wind, but there are always lulls when the seas are relatively calm. But, this is Florida and if you wait 15 mins, the weather is bound to change :D

Other than temperature and crowds, there's not much difference in time of year. Viz can be excellent any time or it can be low any time. It averages about 50 feet year round. The same holds true for seas. Wind can blow any time of the year, but it also can lay down at any time.

hmmm....looks like its luck of the draw. Doesn't matter really, I'm just happy I can finally drive to a dive spot instead of having to plan ahead and fly over here. I may never leave this state.

midwestdvr

midwestdvr:
hmmm....looks like its luck of the draw. Doesn't matter really, I'm just happy I can finally drive to a dive spot instead of having to plan ahead and fly over here. I may never leave this state.

midwestdvr

As a St. Louisian that moved to Key Largo in January....I KNOW I'm never leaving the Keys!

MsParamedic:
As a St. Louisian that moved to Key Largo in January....I KNOW I'm never leaving the Keys!

Yep, my sentiments exactly!
Unless its to go to a Caribbean island with white sandy beaches. Can only do Harry Harris Park for so long...

midwestdvr:
. Was wondering, when is the best time to dive in Key Largo?

midwestdvr

Between Jan 1st and Dec 31st. lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom